Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Contacts
    Hi, I am 16 years old and my parents think Im mature enough to handel contacts, but I have an astigmatism and I know there are contacts for that but what are they exactly and what does the doctor do when you go to get them? Also I have black hair and pretty dark brown eyes and I wanted to get colored contacts, what's the best color, how is different than others? Thanks?
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 2, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I am not an expert but I found a couple websites that might help you out.

What is Astigmatism? Answers from ACUVUE® ADVANCE™ Brand Contact Lenses for ASTIGMATISM.

Eye Doctor Q and A - Contact Lenses for Astigmatism - AllAboutVision.com

You can Google the question on the internet and maybe get more of an answer than these.

Hope this helps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 04:06 AM
    HI,
    Doing research on the web can get you many answers, as previously said.
    The Eye Doctor would be the best person to answer all your questions. You could have the eye exam, talk with him/her about it, then make up your mind later, about specifics for the lens. I am sure the Doc can give you some good suggestions as to color, etc, that would enhance your beauty. I do wish you the best of luck.
    PS; I've never tried contacts, but now at 64, wear trifocal glasses. Started wearing glasses many years ago.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 3, 2006, 05:10 AM
    The doctor will be able to confirm if your astigmatism is minor enough to be able to use contacts at all.

Once that's confirmed, he'll then confirm which brands make contacts for your astigmatism and prescription. If colored ones are available for your prescription then it's completely up to you - and the Dr. can even give you some samples of colored lenses.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Just to clarify, there is no difference to the wearer between contacts that compensate for an astigmatism and ones that don't. They are put in the same way, cared for the same way. The difference is purely in the configuration of the lens.

So your optometrist or ophthalmologist will deal with what lenses need to be ordered.
    xxvickyxx Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Hi,
    I have just got contacts about a week ago and I have a trial week!! I am 12 and I have astigmatism. You will most likely have to have hard ones like me. But once your used to them they are fantastic! I have actually got used to them now and I've had them about a week. Im not sure about the colour thing sorry!!
    Hope this helps!
    Xx
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Just to clarify, there is no difference to the wearer between contacts that compensate for an astigmatism and ones that don't. They are put in the same way, cared for the same way. The difference is purely in the configuration of the lens.

So your optometrist or opthamologist will deal with what lenses need to be ordered.

Actually there is a difference between SOME contacts designed for astigmatism, if you astigmatism is bad enough the doctor may suggest RGP, which is Rigid Gas Permeable lenses. They are hard, and ARE cared for in a different manner. Go see your Optometrist or Ophthalmologist, and ask them what they suggest. The doctor will look into your eyes, examine the shape and prescribe the right prescription, diameter, and base curve. Make sure to ask your doctor to prescribe a lens that is available in colors if that is what you are interested in. You can try all sorts of "trial" colored lenses on, to see what they look like. I think the prettiest most flattering colored lens for someone with brown eyes in honey-colored... which is a really light brown... I think it's beautiful... or perhaps green... nothing too light and showy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express: Big Address Book but nothing in Contacts [ 11 Answers ]

Got a new laptop and imported my address book (wab) into OE... the same way I've done it dozens of times over the years... But on this 'puter the Contacts pane is empty. When I go to the address book (from within OE) all my contacts are there, and when I go to send an email and start typing...

Contacts for wholesale harley davidson decals [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small business and am trying to locate any wholesale businesses to purchase biker items, such as decals, patches, pins etc. Anything Harley Davidson would be great!! I do not work rallys, so there would be no competition there-----But have to keep my prices low because most bikers I see...

Exporting Outlook Express contacts [ 2 Answers ]

I just upgraded to a new computer at work. Old comp running Windows 98, new comp with Windows XP MCE. I am trying to export my contacts from Outlook Express from old comp to new, but the contacts are not saved as a .wab file. The prior user had them saved to "Microsoft Outlook Contact Store". There...

View more questions Search