Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdexer62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 03:58 PM
    California inheritance
    My father died in 2000, and his wife (my step-mother) died this year, she has no descendents(children). There is property left that they jointly owned. My father's brother and my step-mother's brother have taken control of the estate. Don't I have a right to my father's estate? To his and his wife's jointly owned property?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Yes, file a notice with the court that you are the son of the property owner,

249. At any time before the hearing any person interested in the
    Property may answer the petition and deny any of the matters
    Contained therein. The court shall hear the proofs offered by the
    Petitioner and by any person contesting and shall make a decree
    Conformable to the proofs. The decree shall be prima facie evidence
    Of the facts determined thereby, and shall be conclusive in favor of
    Anyone acting thereon in good faith without notice of any conflicting
    Interest.

Link is to California Probate Codes:
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...ebody=&hits=20
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2006, 05:03 PM
    You should get a California probate attorney for advice,

In most areas where I am from, after your faither dies, any "joint" property goes to the living spouse. So in a few years if that spouse dies only her relitives not his would have any claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice law in California [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a question does anybody know if it the law that you have to give a 30 day notice in the state of California because we were living at a home and our car was broken into twice in one week and there was a lot of out going activity going on after the first brake in , the people we think...

30 day notice - California [ 5 Answers ]

On Sept 20 I gave my written 30 day notice. I subsequently moved out around October 3. My lease had expired in July. My problem is that the rental co is charging me rent till the last day of the month instead of 30 days after I gave notice, which should have been Oct 20. My question is can they...

California inheritance law? [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and live in California. I have inherited some money from my father and I want to know if this inheritance is community property or does it just belong to me alone?

California divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I have been separated from my wife for about 4 or 5 years. We have a daughter together and have completely moved on with our lives. We get a long great but we simply have never gotten a divorce. I really need to get the process started now with my current relationship slowly moving that...

California [ 1 Answers ]

Contest Question 1 out of a hundred. I am having a lot of trouble with this one. Thanks for any help. A certain California drive-thru during its almost-90-year span of operation, before a snowstorm in the late sixties put it out of commission... What, where was it... I have tried tunnels,...

View more questions Search