Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara_bell15 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Help
    I was homeschooled all of high school so I didn't really get a lot of the life skills I needed. I do want to go to college eventually, but I don't really know how I would go about starting it. Like how do I even apply and what would be the best school. How am I going to pay for it. That kind of stuff. I would like to be a photographer and want to stay kind of close to home or even take classes online. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2006, 03:09 PM
    First if properly done, all homeschooled have much better real life experience than people going to public high school because public high school is not real life but a controlled environment.

A home school person, is normally given a lot of experience in the neighboor around where they live, on outings and so on.

The only thing you missed out on was being bullied, being made fun of or perahps being convinced to have drugs or sex. So there are no life skills anyone misses by not going to a public school.

Next colleege is nothing like high school, there is a lot of freedom, subjects are actually discussed not crammed down your throats as facts..

So what do you do, get a list of all of the colleges, jr colleges and so on.
    And see if they offer certain programs. As for paying for it, you will have to work part time, get student loans or student grants like any other kid does.

Do some web searches for colleges, check out local colleges in your county and/state.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
    I am sure you have more life skills than you realize! :) As you interact with more young adults, either through working or in college, you'll quickly develop many of those skills you think you are lacking. Photography is awesome, and something you can take at a small community college in your area.

I agree with Father Chuck that looking up school websites is a good start. There's lots of information on how to apply and get financial assistance.

I disagree with Father Chuck about college though. Although there tends to be more matured attitude in some groups, there's still more than enough peer and social pressure and partying going on to make your eyes pop out... Girls Gone Wild anyone?

Don't get me wrong - I loved going to university! It was the most "free" time I ever had in my life and I learned an incredible amount about people, life, and the world during my time there. Thank goodness we live in a country where you can get that kind of education! ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 04:12 AM
    Hi, sara, in MI,
    Do you have a community college, or use to be called a Junior College, two year college within driving distance of where you live?
    If so, go talk with the Admissions Office. They can tell you all you need.
    Don't start taking online course in anything, until you talk with a college counselor, or admissions person. Get more information on it, and then decide how to proceed.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Bball12587 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
    I know you want something close to home.
    If that is what you are comfortable with I suggest you do that, but I highly recommend you live at the college if you are able to.
    Because my college is close to home but I live there and it is a totally different experience then high school and living at home. I know many commuters and in most cases is not true that they get the real experience of college as dormers do. Many of them will stay over just to get that experience. There nothing like just being able to walk around and meet a new person everyday.
    And you don't have to be stuck at school you should still venture outside of campus so your only environment is not just the campus. However college will teach you a lot of adjusting to new experiences, social skills.. how to meet new people and basically how to choose which people you want to remain in contact with.
    It will also show you have to contact people are the profession you are interested in and professors so you can get involved in great opportunities.
    Just because you were homeschooled does not mean anything.
    You might have more adaptability then others who were not, but I really think you should experience new "experiences", I guess you could say.

Hope that helped

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search