Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHRISTOPHEROBIN Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Why was the Sabbath Day changed from Saturday to Sunday?
    Why was the Sabbath Day changed from Saturday(the 7th day) to Sunday(the first day)?
    Is Saturday the real day to celebrate the Sabbath. I mean people make mistakes and what is to say that we didn't lose time or days.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 11:50 AM
    I think either can be 'celebrated'
    The Saturday sabbath was for the Jews
    The Sunday was in Acts and I think had to do with Jesus death and resurrection and going from the old to the new. Something like that. I am sure others know the answer better and can explain so that was just my little input.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 12:01 PM
    The very early church had the issue of being "criminals" they had to meet in secret. They could not put a sign up on a building and hand out tracts to advertise.

So they often had to meet in secret. For many they meet daily in small groups for fellowship. As the church grew this often was a meeting on the first day of the work week when it did not appear as out of the ordinary for small groups to be meeting prior to a days work.

And of course as time progressed and more formal rules and meetings started happening, the change was made to do this in honor of Christ rising from the dead on Sunday morning.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I think either can be 'celebrated'
    Agreed:

Col 2:16-18
    16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
    NKJV

Sep 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
    But God had set the Sabbath on the 7th day for us to know and praise him, and for him to know us. Who has the right to change this Holy day? The only one of the ten commandments that say "REMEMBER" the Sabbath and keep it Holy.It is the most important of any of the 10 comandments because it is the only one that says"REMEMBER".
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHEROBIN
    But God had set the Sabbath on the 7th day for us to know and praise him, and for him to know us. Who has the right to change this Holy day? The only one of the ten commandments that say "REMEMBER" the Sabbath and keep it Holy.It is the most important of any of the 10 comandments because it is the only one that says"REMEMBER".
    God does.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
    NKJV

And keep in mind what the Sabbath was. It was prophetic of the coming of Christ:

Heb 4:1-10
    4:1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

"So I swore in My wrath,
    They shall not enter My rest,"

although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said:

"Today, if you will hear His voice,
    Do not harden your hearts."

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
    NKJV

The fulfillment of this prophecy was the coming of Christ. Anyone who truly wants to know God's Sabbath needs to receive Jesus as Saviour.

Sep 1, 2008, 01:44 PM
    We are not work, have slaves work, clean cook etc. only to praise him on His day "the Sabbath" it has to be a certain day if we are to do these things.If it was a personal choice to the day we chose to be the Sabbath then none of this would make any sense. God created the Sabbath on His day of rest.To show his love for us and we are supposed to rest on this day.It happened at the end of the creation of everything, 7 days.There was no mention of Jesus.The Sabbath was made by God even before Adam and Eve.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
    I didn't know that it actually had changed I've always believed that God worked for 6 days and on the 7th day he rested... Sunday.

Unfortunately these days it doesn't apply anymore, everything seems to be open 7 days a week, even easter day and christmas day, which is a real shame.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Saturday was the sabbath in the old testament.

The crumby part is many jobs want you available weekends or they will hire somebody who is available.

Sep 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Saturday was the sabbath in the old testament.

The crumby part is many jobs want you available weekends or they will hire somebody who is available.
    I agree one hundred percent!
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 03:08 PM
    We are not not work, have slaves work, clean cook etc. only to praise him on His day "the Sabbath" it has to be a certain day if we are to do these things.If it was a personal choice to the day we chose to be the Sabbath then none of this would make any sense. God created the Sabbath on His day of rest.To show his love for us and we are supposed to rest on this day.It happened at the end of the creation of everything, 7 days.There was no mention of Jesus.The Sabbath was made by God even before Adam and Eve.
    Do you believe what God says in His word we He says that we are not judge anyone on the Sabbaths?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. He became our Sabbath, and each mention of the disciples meeting (when the day is stated) it was on the first day of the week.
    ScottRC Posts: 205, Reputation: 0

Sep 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Why was the Sabbath Day changed from Saturday(the 7th day) to Sunday(the first day)?
    Is Saturday the real day to celebrate the Sabbath. I mean people make mistakes and what is to say that we didnt lose time or days.
    Passages of Scripture such as Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Colossians 2:16-17, and Revelation 1:10 indicate that, even during New Testament times, the Sabbath is no longer binding and that Christians are to worship on the Lord’s day, Sunday, instead.

The early Church Fathers compared the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of the rite of circumcision, and from that they demonstrated that if the apostles abolished circumcision (Gal. 5:1-6), so also the observance of the Sabbath must have been abolished.

http://scripturecatholic.com/sunday_worship.html

Sep 1, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRC
    Passages of Scripture such as Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Colossians 2:16-17, and Revelation 1:10 indicate that, even during New Testament times, the Sabbath is no longer binding and that Christians are to worship on the Lord’s day, Sunday, instead.

The early Church Fathers compared the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of the rite of circumcision, and from that they demonstrated that if the apostles abolished circumcision (Gal. 5:1-6), so also the observance of the Sabbath must have been abolished.

http://scripturecatholic.com/sunday_worship.html
    If God is perfect and knows all why would he set something to just be abolished?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 06:01 PM
    If God is perfect and knows all why would he set something to just be abolished?
    It was prophetic of the coming of the Saviour. Just as Passover was prophetic of the sacrifice of His blood for our sins.

That is what scripture tells us in these passages:

NKJV

4:1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

"So I swore in My wrath,

Although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said:

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
    NKJV

The fact that He established the prophesies of Christ's coming in the Old Testament rituals speaks volumes about God's perfect knowledge.

Indeed, we also see in Galatians 3 and others that Jesus was the fulfillment of the law. The law (including the laws about the Sabbaths) were put in place to point us to Christ.

Sep 1, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    It was prophetic of the coming of the Saviour. Just as Passover was prophetic of the sacrifice of His blood for our sins.

That is what scripture tells us in these passages:

NKJV

"So I swore in My wrath,

although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works"; 5 and again in this place: "They shall not enter My rest." 6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said:

NKJV

The fact that He established the prophesies of Christ's coming in the Old Testament rituals speaks volumes about God's perfect knowledge.

Indeed, we also see in Galatians 3 and others that Jesus was the fulfillment of the law. The law (including the laws about the Sabbaths) were put in place to point us to Christ.
    what you say makes a lot of sense to me, and I believe all are saved through Jesus.But what still gets me is, are the other 9 commandments abolished?If not Why would the only one that he had wrote"remember" be any different?
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
    what you say makes a lot of sense to me, and I believe all are saved through Jesus.But what still gets me is, are the other 9 commandments abolished?If not Why would the only one that he had wrote"remember" be any different?
    It was not abolished, but it was fulfilled in Christ.

Matt 5:17-18
    17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
    NKJV

The remainder of the law also serves a purpose which is to show us how far we are from meeting God's standards

Gal 3:19-22
    19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
    NKJV

And the fact that we cannot be saved through the law because no one have ever kept the law perfectly (Rom 3:23).

That is why Jesus has to come. But once we have received Him as Lord and Saviour, we no longer are under the law because the law has been written in our hearts through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Gal 3:23-25
    23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
    NKJV
    The law is for the unrighteous (unsaved), not those who are saved:

1 Tim 1:8-11
    9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.
    NKJV

We no longer are under the letter of the law which we could not obey, but rather the Holy Spirit indwells us and helps us to obey the spirit of the law.

Jer 31:33-34
    33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
    NKJV

Sep 2, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    It was not abolished, but it was fulfilled in Christ.

Matt 5:17-18
    17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
    NKJV

The remainder of the law also serves a purpose which is to show us how far we are from meeting God's standards

Gal 3:19-22
    19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
    NKJV

And the fact that we cannot be saved through the law because no one have ever kept the law perfectly (Rom 3:23).

That is why Jesus has to come. But once we have received Him as Lord and Saviour, we no longer are under the law because the law has been written in our hearts through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

The law is for the unrighteous (unsaved), not those who are saved:

1 Tim 1:8-11
    9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.
    NKJV

We no longer are under the letter of the law which we could not obey, but rather the Holy Spirit indwells us and helps us to obey the spirit of the law.

Jer 31:33-34
    33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
    NKJV
    Thank you, you have truly hit the nail on the head.I now understand. Thanks again.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by willyb78
    All that says to me is that we shouldn't judge others on those things. I agree that we shouldn't judge others, but this text says nothing about changing of the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.
    For Catholics that is a matter of Church authority:

Matthew 18 18 Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.

This is seen even in Apostolic Times that the Church began to assemble on the First day of the Week, which is Sunday:

Acts Of Apostles 20 7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    For Catholics that is a matter of Church authority:

Matthew 18 18 Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.

This is seen even in Apostolic Times that the Church began to assemble on the First day of the Week, which is Sunday:

Acts Of Apostles 20 7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight.
    It does not appear that Christopher is a Catholic so let's not bring denominationalism into this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anybody like Black Sabbath? [ 5 Answers ]

Anybody like older bands like black sabbath/alice cooper/ dio/pantera/ozzy and such? I do. Seems like no one else my age does! (I'm 22) just wondering!:)

F1 OPT to H1 - Changed companies, Changed States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My situation is as follows: OPT with company 1 in Texas from Dec 10 2006 - September 30 2007 H1 with company 1 in Texas from Oct 1 2007 - Nov 15 2007 H1 with company 2 in Maryland from Nov 15 2007 till date. What tax forms do I fill? I also have state tax from company 2 since that...

Worship Saturday or Sunday [ 6 Answers ]

I know the Jewish sabbath is Saturday. Many Christians worship on Sunday. Is there a right or wrong day to worship. Jesus said rest on the sabbath. But Paul had church on Sunday(first day of week). So witch one is right or wrong or it doesn't matter. Please provide biblical proof for points.

The view from Saturday [ 5 Answers ]

Nadia's section What is the sargasso sea? What is a "live-pipped" turtle? What musical did they go see? What are the two reasons the nadia knows about the sargasso sea? Who is lucas? Why is nadia staying in Florida?

View more questions Search