Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christinewest-stephen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Sunburn
    Tell me what you think...

My boyfriend is out in the sun most of the day, from around 11 until about 4.
    How long do you think is too long? and how long until he gets skin cancer?
    I try to tell him everyday that its not good for him but he just won't listen. Any advice?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Not everybody get skin cancer.
    Personally I would rather be outside then inside.
    When I was going to college I was a roofer during the summer and we would work outside all day every day 12-14 hour days.
    I did this for 4 years no skin cancer or problems.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 2, 2006, 11:47 PM
    Very simply, sunburn and UV light can damage your skin, and this damage can lead to skin cancer. There are of course other determining factors, including your heredity and the environment you live in. However, both the total amount of sun received over the years, and overexposure resulting in sunburn can cause skin cancer. Most people receive 80% of their lifetime exposure to the sun by 18 years of age.
    Tanning is your skin's response to UV light. It is a protective reaction to prevent further injury to your skin from the sun. However, it does not prevent skin cancer.
    Remember, skin cancer is very slow to develop. The sunburn you receive this week may take 20 years or more to become skin cancer.
    If there is a history of skin cancer in your family, you are probably at a higher risk. People with fair skin, with a northern European heritage appear to be most susceptible.
    The skin has two main layers and several kinds of cells. The top layer of skin is called the epidermis. It contains three kinds of cells: flat, scaly cells on the surface called squamous cells; round cells called basal cells; and cells called melanocytes, which give your skin its color.There are several types of cancer that start in the skin. The most common are basal cell cancer and squamous cell cancer.Skin cancer is more common in people with light colored skin who have spent a lot of time in the sunlight. Skin cancer can occur anywhere on your body, but it is most common in places that have been exposed to more sunlight, such as your face, neck, hands, and arms.
    Skin cancer can look many different ways. The most common sign of skin cancer is a change on the skin, such as a growth or a sore that won't heal. Sometime there may be a small lump. This lump can be smooth, shiny and waxy looking, or it can be red or reddish brown. Skin cancer may also appear as a flat red spot that is rough or scaly. Not all changes in your skin are cancer, but you should see your doctor if you notice changes in your skin.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 3, 2006, 12:31 AM
    Over time, exposure to the sun and severe sunburns can lead to skin cancer. The most common places for skin cancer to develop are on those body parts exposed to the sun such as the face, neck, ears, forearms, and hands. The peak sun intensity hours, when UV light is strongest, are between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. standard time. Tell your boyfriend to use broad spectrum sunscreens, which are those that contain active ingredients that absorb at least 85 percent of the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Read labels carefully and choose a broad spectrum sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15, which filters out both UVA and UVB radiation.

May 3, 2006, 01:40 AM
    So what if you already have a dark complexion does your chance of skin cancer go down

May 3, 2006, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeeding_2005
    So what if you already have a dark complexion does your chance of skin cancer go down
    Not nessesarily Josh, It depends on your genes and how much time you spend in the sun with out UV ray protection.Anyone can get skin cancer including Those with the darkest of completions..
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Hi, christine,
    I tried giving Stormy an "approval" comment, but got the old pop-up, "spread it around some more.....". Very good answer.
    Personally, at 64 yrs old, and watching the Network News programs a lot, it does sound like anyone can get skin cander. The UV rays of the sun are stronger now they were some years ago... getting stronger with each few passing years.
    News Reports on Health Issues, mainly studies in the Sunny States, such as Miami, FL. report increasing rates of skin cancer, to retired persons who have been in the sun for many years.
    Tell your boyfriend that even wearing the highest number of UV Lotion protection might not help prevent it, in the long run, due to genetic factors and others.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

May 3, 2006, 08:40 AM
    I agree with stormy. She has given some great information. Skin cancer can happen to anyone at any age. My mom had it in her late 20s early 30s. I've heard from experts that getting a sunburn before the age of 12 increases your risk by 50%. That's pretty scarey. Genetics I think play the biggest role. My brother (same parents) and I are both very fair but we are completely different. He gets heat stroke very easily and can burn very easily. I could stay in the sun for hours and get a beautiful tan, I never burn. Not that I do, I will admit to having somewhat of a phobia to the sun. I take more after my dad's side. I think the safe limit is different for everyone. As it was stated above between 10am and 3pm are the worst times to be in the sun. Depending on your own body, I don't think you have to avoid those times completely. The sun is healthy too. It's just the same as everything else, moderation is the key. :)
    -

May 3, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Demonspeeding 2005, individuals with dark complexions, especially those with olive, brown, or black skin, can remain in the sun for longer periods before burning occurs. Darker skin has more natural pigment, which acts as a protectant, the skin is still susceptible to many of the damaging effects of UV radiation. "The incidence of skin cancer is lower in dark-skinned people, but it still occurs and is often not detected until later stages when it is more dangerous." Skin cancer is one of the few cancers we definitely know the cause of overexposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays. That's why protecting yourself when you're in the sun is the best thing you can do to prevent skin cancer. Your protection should include plenty of sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses.

May 3, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Actually I know a lot about skin cancer my dad was diagnosied with it three months ago.
    -

May 3, 2006, 10:37 PM
    I'm sorry the hear that your father has skin cancer. I will keep you and yours in my prayers. The main forms of skin cancer are Basal Cell Carcinoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Melanoma. Almost all skin cancer that is diagnosed early and treated promptly and appropriately can be cured. However, skin cancer can recur, so it's important to do regular check ups and self-examination.

May 4, 2006, 01:41 AM
    Facts and Statistics About Skin Cancer

Who Is at Risk?
    Although anyone can get skin cancer, individuals with certain risk factors are particularly at risk. Some risk factors for skin cancer are :
    Lighter natural skin color
    Family history of skin cancer
    Personal history of skin cancer
    Constant exposure to the sun through work and play
    A history of sunburns early in life
    Skin that burns, freckles, gets red easily, or becomes painful in the sun
    Blue or green eyes
    Blond or red hair
    Certain types and a large number of moles

The number of skin cancer cases has increased in the United States. More than 1 million cases of basal cell or squamous cell cancer will be diagnosed annually. In 2002*, the most serious form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma, was diagnosed in 44,582 persons and 7,513 men and women died of the disease, according to the United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2002 Incidence and Mortality Report. Since 1981, the incidence of melanoma has increased a little less than 3 percent per year. Melanoma is the most common cancer among people 25 to 29 years old.

The three major types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma.

Basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas can cause substantial illness and, if untreated, can cause considerable damage and disfigurement. If detected and treated early, however, these carcinomas have a cure rate of more than 90%.

Malignant melanoma causes more than 75% of all deaths from skin cancer. This disease can spread to other organs, most commonly the lungs and liver. Malignant melanoma diagnosed at an early stage usually can be cured, but melanoma diagnosed at a late stage is more likely to spread and cause death.

Exposure to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays appears to be the most important environmental factor in developing skin cancer. This makes skin cancer a largely preventable disease when sun protective practices and behaviors are consistently applied and utilized. UV radiation is also a factor in the development of lip cancer, making sun protection even more important. UV rays from artificial sources of light, such as tanning beds and sun lamps are just as dangerous as those from the sun, and should also be avoided. Unfortunately, despite the fact that both tanning and burning can increase one's risk of skin cancer, most Americans do not protect themselves from UV rays.

U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2002 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2005. Available at: Cancer – United States Cancer Statistics (USCS) – NPCR.

*The most recent year for which statistics are currently available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Sunburn & Wrinkles on face [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 21 year old female. I got an really bad case of sunburn on my face 2 days ago (because I did not have sunscreen with me, which I know I should have brought) and I have been using aloe vera gel to "heal" it. However, it is still extremely red and my skin feels like it's very tight and...

View more questions Search