Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cs1188 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Upper Floor Hi-rise Appt Nat.Gas heater = too polluting <> Alternative ?
    We find black soot in wash room, kitchen & other areas after 6 months, from our livingroom gas fire place.
    It is the only source of heat in the apartment, except in the bedrooms are floor board electrical heaters .

The open-air balcony has the exit hub for the livingroom fire place, and the soot around that hub is even worse.

o.k. - The fire place has never been serviced since we moved in in 2003. Did I answer my own question? Can cleaning the fireplace make such a difference?

I was contemplating fuel cell residential heater, but I guess they are too expensive to get.

- Can electric fireplace be used for heating alternative?

Thanks for your co-operation.
    Sincerely, Chris
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Did I answer my own question ??

Probably. A proper running gas appliance should not soot up unless there is a problem with combustion air getting to the burner.

Can electric fireplace be used for heating alternative ??

Yes then it would be non vented and you would save more $$$ by not having a hole in the wall for a flue pipe sucking the heated air or combustion byproducts outside. Go electric in your situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Gyno appt. [ 5 Answers ]

Im going to the gynochologist for the first time Tuesday and Im kind of nervous. I don't know what to expect or what kind of questions she'll ask. I just want to know what to expect

How to fit a WC with "S" trap on upper floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently brought a WC with a ''S" trap which is normally used in ground floor. How do I fit this in the first floor of my apartment?

Floor heater [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a apartment in anchorage Alaska and there are floor heater that run along the bottom of the floor I had the window open because the apartment would get pretty stuffy Even thou I would not have the heater on it was pretty cold outside maybe 5 degrees the Next morning I notice the floor...

Water heater alternative [ 1 Answers ]

I remember very vaguely, when installing a water heater that I read something about using the water heater as the water heater for the heating system. Where can I find manual or how to do that? Thanks

Rented appt [ 9 Answers ]

My mom rented an apartment for me last year in January the utilities are in my name and I have made all the rental payments until this month. My rent was late this month and the landlord who is aware that I live in the unit not my mom called to inform my mom that the rent was late and my mom had...

View more questions Search