Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prideandjoy Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2008, 10:04 AM
    17 in Michigan
    I have a few friends that believe, when you turn 17 in Michigan, you can move out of your parents house without them being able to do anything about it... I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about this, and if its true or not...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandjoy
    I have a few friends that believe, when you turn 17 in Michigan, you can move out of your parents house without them being able to do anything about it... I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about this, and if its true or not...

It's more complicated than you friends would lead you to believe. In Michigan:

You can become emancipated without your parent's permission (free of the control of your parents) as long as they are not supporting you and you are at least sixteen years of age, if you can manage your financial affairs (this usually means you are employed), that you can manage your personal and social affairs without supervision, you a place to live (not with a minor) and that emancipation would be in your best interest.

If you wish to file a petition to become emancipated, you would file the petition in the family division of the circuit court for the county in which you live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity In Michigan [ 2 Answers ]

I have been happily married for 6 years and have a 4 year old daughter and a baby on the way. One day, out of the blue, I received an order for paternity testing on me for a child that is 11 years old! I have no recollection of the mother, do not know her, or the grandmother who has custody of...

Does anyone know if you can own a Savannah cat in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can own a Savannah Cat in Michigan? And if so what are the laws.. thank you

Michigan court's [ 1 Answers ]

Now this is what I think's ty my husband has a little girl in Michigan who is 10 his ex wife took his daughter and moved not telling him where she is not giving him a number well he call'ed his case worker on there case and told her what was going on and he's case worker told him to file a...

Car Accident in Michigan [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently involved in a car accident in Michigan. It occurred in a parking lot. I was backing out of a parking space as they were pulling forward into one. The front of their car and the back of mine hit. The police came and determined that neither of us were at fault and nothing else was done...

View more questions Search