Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mantzelevi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 09:50 AM
    A/C works fine for days, then stops working for about 8 hours.
    A/C in the past few weeks turns on and off; last night the A/C was not working and the thermostat was blank. Then, by itself, it suddenly kicked in and started blowing cold air and thermostat showed the temp. This occurs once in a while. Works fine for days, then suddenly stops working for about 8 hours, then resumes cooling on its own.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Some sort of timer will do that but I am sure you would know if you had one on your system. Some utilities now day have installed a use chopper circuit in the A/C section of your system. They usually have to have your permission to do that also. It is a demand reduction method that helps the utilities control energy/demand usage.Otherwise a short circuit or other intermittent problem could be causing the problem.
    JustinCase Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Check for a loose connection at the plug into the furnace and make sure the furnace doors are securely shut. If that fails start looking for bad door switch or a loose connection inside the furnace electric control area. You are losing power to the transformer someplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Works Fine, Light is Dim [ 18 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay "Brookedale" model ceiling fan. It is about a year old and was working fine until a few days ago. We came home and it was on (we left the house and it was turned off), with the fan running and the light on, but not it's usual brightness, very dim. I've checked the wiring to...

Fan on ON and ac not working, heat works fine [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new home and I know the AC worked last summer for the people who lived here. I have a LUX 1500 t-stat, a miller ac unit, and a beckett by honeywll furnace motor. Everything was serviced last year. When we put the switch to heat the furnace comes on and runs non stop. When I...

Heater fine daytime, stops at night! [ 48 Answers ]

Heater is gas forced air and works fine in higher temperature daytime if in 60's, 70's. But if colder it won't turn on unless thermostat is manually moved back down then up so mercury trips again. Even had a hvac friend come out, test all of it, he replaced something but still same problem even...

Wireless internet works fine, but. [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason, any computers that are connected via a cord cannot access the internet. Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I've checked all the cords and they're fine... internet worked perfectly last night, too.

Reset works fine, but... [ 5 Answers ]

This Kenmore dishwasher, model 1376, works great and very quiet also. ... and then it stopped working. I suspect I might have placed something in there that blocked the spray arms. What worries me is that there wasn't/isn't any blinking light to indicate "fault" has been detected. Hope I didn't...

View more questions Search