Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stboulet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Cracking Water for Hydrogen Fuel Cell
    Does anyone have any schematics or parts listing, or know where I could obtain one, for a system to crack water into it's constituent parts?

What I would like to do is setup 5 to 8 KW of PV panels. I would then use the energy generated from this to crack water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen would then be stored for use later in either a fuel cell or my car.

Are there plans for such a system out there anywhere?

Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 1, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Hello stboulet

There are several ways to obtain hydrogen. There are several rather unfriendly chemical processes to the environment, and there is electricity (generated by oil , coal, gas , or nuclear resources), so neither very friendly. Than there is reversed-osmosis, with all it's problems, aluminum alloy and gallium systems, etc. Just Google your way into knowledge.

But if I were you I would use electricity : a strong current through a reservoir full of water that is made conducting by adding some sodium crystals will do the trick : catch at one side hydrogen, and at the other side oxygen.

Yes there are not many plans, but electricity is the standard way to get hydrogen and oxygen.

Problem : you are not allowed to store hydrogen in a residential area, and you require a license for anywhere else. Because of the danger by the unpreventable leaking of - and resulting explosions by - hydrogen.

Partslist :

One water reservoir
    Water
    Pack of table salt
    2 electrodes
    Power supply
    Gas collection and storage device

Schematics :

See this website for general instructions and take it from there!

Advice :

Do your wife and children a big favor and get a huge all-covering life insurance...

Success !

:>)

asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Plants crack water during photosynthesis. There's an article about efforts to mimic this process in the current E&S, Caltech's almuni magazine.

I have been reading it, not finished.

http://eands.caltech.edu/articles/LXXI2/lewis.pdf
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    Plants crack water during photosynthesis. There's an article about efforts to mimic this process in the current E&S, Caltech's almuni magazine. I have been reading it, not finished. http://eands.caltech.edu/articles/LXXI2/lewis.pdf
    Excellent article ! Thanks for the link !

:)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I did that in grade school. Used a platinum screen for electrodes and inverted test tubes in water. The hydrogen collects at 2x the rate, if I remember.

Storage of hydrogen would require a way to presurize it.
    -

Sep 5, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Actually I am more interested in asking's post and link about plants that crack water by photosynthesis.

If we could put that process working for us more efficiently...

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydrogen bonding in water vapor [ 4 Answers ]

Unlike a liquid or solid a gas will always expand to fill its container as best as is possible. However, water is hydrophilic because of its uniquely massive amounts of hydrogen bonds (not so much bonds as powerful associations), does it take this same quality through into its gaseous state? To...

How do I use hydrogen as fuel [ 4 Answers ]

How is hydrogen gas used as fuel I want to know the generation technique For generation of power using hydrogen In full details also would like to see papers published on the same

Fuel injecter or fuel pressure regulator ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 gmc sonoma (zr2 package) with a 4.3 motor (engine code W). I sometimes have problems getting it started, when the motor is warm it starts without any problem, but when it is cold I have a hard time getting it started, if I put gas or starting fluid down the throttle body it starts...

Cracking noise water pipe when water is not in use [ 3 Answers ]

I often hear some cracking noise coming from the water pipe (hiding inside the drywall) wheh there water are not is use. The noise usually come after 5-10 minute after a shower is used. BUt not right away

Hydrogen sulfide in water - due to water softener? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been trying to determine the source of a rotten eggs smell that was coming from our sinks and shower. At first I thought it was coming from the drains, and that it had to do with the septic system and/or plumbing pipes/vents. However, I have since determined that the source is the...

View more questions Search