Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fstsc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Judgement paperwork on a OLD debt.
    Last week I got served docs for a judgement of an old debt. I called the agency very quickly and found a very nice representative that agreed to take a payment and put my paperwork on the bottom of the pile for a few weeks. I started doing some digging on my credit report and found out that in 2005 a Judgement was filed on the same debt. Can they do this legally? Filing 2 Judgements on the same debt? I'm willing to work with them on making large payments, not payment in full, but healthy payments, but they still want to file a judgement on me.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2008, 05:51 AM
    If you are sure that the previous jusdgement is on the same debt, then answer the summons to the court with your Intent to Defend against the suit. Send a copy of this letter to the plaintiff, citing the previous judgement and asking them to justify why they are suing you again.

Do EVERYTHING in writing, do not call them.

If you can afford to make payments on your debts, why haven't you been doing so rather than waiting for them to file suit?
    fstsc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I'll get working on that in the morning.

When the original judgement went through I was out of state and didn't have a chance to really do much about it. And just out of crazyness of schedule I have lost track of who to pay, and now they are starting to come out of the wood work.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt judgement [ 4 Answers ]

Are there any ways around beating a judgement for unsecured credit card debt??

Judgement for Debt [ 4 Answers ]

In 2004 my salary was garnished for an $8800.00 judgement. According to my employers records as of May, 2007, I only owed $27.00, which we sent in. The collection agency said that I still owed $1500.00 interest, and my employer refused to send any more funds because the judgement amount only...

Judgement on old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear on court due to an old debt. I know I did still owe some of it, but quit paying it years ago when I was young/broke and they wouldn't work with me. I have moved from KS to TX to CO, but am convinced the SOL has expired. I went to court, but the lawyer ran out of...

Judgement for debt I do not owe [ 2 Answers ]

About 9 1/2 years ago I moved from one town to another, and filed change of address forms with all necessary debtors, twice to be certain. One debtor, a credit card company, did not note or make the change, and I did not receive a bill from them for 2 months (I called to ask for it) after I moved....

What do I do about this debt judgement? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... I'll try to sum this as best I can. A credit card company that I owed an original debt was given to a law firm to collect the debt. The firm claimed it was 3000 or so, and I received letters and then a judgement and so I paid a partial amount on the debt 6 months ago of 980. I didn't...

View more questions Search