Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Minich Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 03:40 AM
    Antique Player Piano - Schaff Bros Co
    Hello!

I am new to this community but it seems like a great place to find information!

I was just given an old Schaff Bros Co player piano. It looks to be in great shape except for it is missing most of the parts for the automatic music player. However, it still functions as a regular piano. It is an upright piano.

The wood is in decent shape... needs some TLC...

Some of the keys don't play right, it hasn't been tuned in many years, some keys are missing the surface layer.

The entire thing needs cleaned thoroughly, sanded, refinished, some parts replaced / repaired.

I would like to learn more about this piano. You see, some of my earliest memories involved playing around with my grandmothers old player piano in her basement. This one is much like hers. It would be a great joy to learn how to restore it, care for it, where to find parts for the music player, and basically get it back to what it once was (or somewhere close to it.) I would like my children to find enjoyment in it much like I did.

I don't know much at all about old player pianos, how they work, or what my options are for repair / restore. This could be a great side project for me to do when not at work.

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Hi, Minich!

One of the things that I do for a living is that I'm a piano tuner/technician. Have been repairing and restoring all kinds of pianos since 1974.

The first thing that really needs to be determined is that the piano can hold a reasonable pitch once it has been tuned. It doesn't necessarily need to be up to standard pitch, but hold to a pitch well enough that it can be enjoyable.

Do you know if it can be tuned, please?

If it can at least hold to a pitch, then all of the other things that are wrong with it that you have mentioned can be repaired. As far as getting missing player parts, that also might be possible.

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Hi Clough!

Thank you for the response. I greatly appreciate and value any input that you can give. Unfortunately, you are dealing with quite a newbie here.

Is there a way that I can determine whether it can be tuned... or should I call someone to try to tune it?

Thanks,

Minich
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 01:40 AM
    Hi, Minich!

Yes, you do need to get a hold of someone who can determine whether it can be tuned. Whether it can be tuned and hold a tune is most important here. A technician just checking the torque on a number of tuning pins should do the trick.

Please do turn on your ability in your profile to private message people. I'm treading on some thin ice here... This is not a solicitation for business for myself, but I can tell you whether it can be tuned without charging you anything, if I can hear it. I do this all the time with people who contact me about whether their piano is worth fixing up or not. It saves me time and saves them money.

If I don't have to go to their residence, then there is no charge.

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2008, 02:30 AM
    Okay... done.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Okay. I can see that you have turned on the ability to send you email messages but not private messages.

Thanks!
    hendrentex Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

Hello~~i just got a piano for my granddaughter and its rather old ,I would like to know when it was made and how old it is. Its an upright at least 4feet tall. It's a schaffs bros. and the serial number is 42952 . Thank you ~~maggie

Oct 21, 2009, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrentex View Post
    hello~~i just got a piano for my granddaughter and its rather old ,i would like to know when it was made and how old it is. its an upright at least 4feet tall. its a schaffs bros. and the serial number is 42952 . thank you ~~maggie
    and would you happen to know if it is too old to be tuned or if tuneing will would be useless.. someone told me it might be too old and the wires will pop. Thank you ~~maggie

Oct 21, 2009, 12:25 AM

I am all new to this and can't seem to get this right, can you please tell me what year my piano was made its sn is 42952 and there is some more numbers on the inside stamped on the sides that read 45355 the piano is a shaffs bros. and I just got it, its very well used for some of the tops of the keys are comeing off and some of the keys are stuck also ,will it harm it to get it tuned? Someone told me that since its so old the wires might pop. I got it for my granddaughter to play on with her lesssons. Thank you ~~maggie
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:37 AM
    Hi, hendrentex!

I can help you with giving you advice about your piano. However, since you've posted on the old thread of someone else, I'm going to combine your posts and move the combined posts to a thread that will be your own.

The thread will be in Collectibles and will have the title of "Needing Information about a Schaff Bros. Piano".

Okay?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Hi again, hendrentex!

I'm waiting for a response from you here so that I know that you know that I responded to you.

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2009, 09:40 AM

Hi ~~do you know when the piano that I just got for my granddaughter was made? The serial number on the inside is 42952 its an upright schaffs bros. the piano is in good shape except for the keys that are missing some of their tops. It stands about 4feet and a few inches. Its very pretty, the wood appears to be the color of mahogany.

Oct 21, 2009, 10:43 PM

I am sorry but I cannot find your answer anywhere on here, this is all new to me so I am lost. ~~maggie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Schaff Bros. Upright piano seriel # 35301, is it worth anything? [ 2 Answers ]

We have an old Schaff Bros. piano. The body is not too good and not all of the keys work. Is there any chance it is worth anything? If not, I am going to take it apart and make something of the wood! Traci

Schaff bros piano [ 7 Answers ]

I found an old piano in poor condition is it worth anything?

Schaaf bros piano [ 2 Answers ]

I found a piano in very poor condition is it worth anything ? Maybe for parts ? It was in an old brewery from the 1800's

Meldorf Upright Player Piano [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find the value of my Meldorf Player Piano ? Patent May 30, 1899, Nov. 28, 1911, May 28, 1916

View more questions Search