Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notworken Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Can a 2nd sub panel be feed from same feed as first?
    I have a 200A main box out on a pole in the yard. I trenched and ran 4/0 aluminum to fee the subpanel on the house. Sadly I installed a smallish box and now I am out of breaker slots (too many 240's... ) Can I tap off the feed from the main box and run it to another subpanel or do I have to install another 200A (well maybe a on 100A) breaker in the existing sub panel to feed the seconds sub panel or (please say no) do I have to trench to the pole again and install the feed breaker there? If I can split the feed to both is there a special box made for the connection?
    seabrookwa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
    The easiest thing to do is replace the small panel board in the house with a standard 30/40 space panel board. The Homeline or Siemens panel boards from Home Depot should be fine.
    The only real set back is that you should have run 2-4/0 , 1- 2/0, and at least a #4 copper or #2 alum ground from the outer service to the inner sub panel.
    Your service is considered at the 1st main breaker location.
    Hope this helps.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Yes, you can have a sub-panel feed from a sub-panel.
    You can have a 100A sub-feed going to a new 100A sub-panel inside the house. NO reason to re-trench to the pole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add and back feed a main breaker in a small convertible panel. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a SquareD Q08-16L100RB Panel that I want to convert to use as a temporary on a construction site but it needs a main breaker installed. It currently has no main breaker but SquareD says you can install a "back-fed" main breaker and a retaining clip. Does back-fed mean that the line power...

What to feed my dog [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am the mom of a 10 week old puppy and I am confused on what to feed him. I started with dry dog food and then learned about all the junk that goes in it and started cooking homemade meals for my puppy. I am afraid I will not give him enough of what he needs. Someone please help me figure...

Sub panel feed wire gauge [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a sub panel to a new garage addition. New 125 amp panel with a double 50 amp breaker in the existing panel. The new sub panel will be 75 feet from the existing main panel. My concern is the correct wire gauge because of the length of the run. The cable will be inside underfloor then in...

What should I feed my pup. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a new pup - a german shepherd. She is nine weeks old and very cute. The breeder was feeding her bread and milk twice a day. I have read that milk is not a good thing to give a dog. Should I be giving her dog food and treats. I really don't know what she should be eating as she...

View more questions Search