Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2008, 05:16 PM
    avaanstar,you are very beautiful both in winter and summer.I am half black too and recently cut off all my relaxed hair and it's been a year now,but I am loving my natural hair and I was really inspired when I saw your pictures and how beautiful you are and your hair.are you half black and half white?just want to know what mix you are with black.
    guesswhoiam Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Sep 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
    To each his own I guess :-)
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Sep 2, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    avaan,
    I was just on another forum and someone mistook me for an African American and started calling me all sorts of vile degrading names and wanted me out of the place.

He even went as far as to say I got AIDs(I dont have AIDs/HIV,but he assumed..) because of my skin color and that he would never go into a relationship with a colored woman because of fear of AIDs.

It wasnt a regular member,but this person was adamant that he will not get AIDs from anyone except colored women!!What nonesense!

I was shocked,but I realised this was why many African Americans are taking up the issue of color and discrimination because they must be facing such vile people in their daily lives.
    This saddens me. I believe that people can be vile, but moreover it's the ignorance that bothers me. If you come across a person like that ask them if they know about the history of AIDS, because if they did, they would never spout such ignorance.

Sep 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by avaanstar
    Cool! Oh god, now i want to see what you look like. Pics?
    I don't take pictures anymore, and I'm not being facetious. I don't know why, maybe it just brings back bad memories and every time I see a camera I want to curl up in the fetal position and just suck my thumb. I am so just kidding. But that's one part of my life that is over, and as I look at pictures of myself I realize that I can not turn back time. I think that that was a time when I was most beautiful. I still think that I am beautiful, but not like that, and it just does something to me.

Anyway, I think I smell an aspiring model. If you want to model, in the process of modeling, or have something in mind about modeling I will give you this piece of advice. It was hard when I did it awhile back, and I know that it is even harder for a woman of color nowadays. Do anything you can, print (that includes catalogs, mags. Etc), runway (high fashion-especially if you are over five ten), commercials, extras in movies, even trade shows. Anything you can to build your portfolio. If an agency won't pick you up, no sweat, do freelance work. If you have the look, a great attitude (which is mega important, no one want to work with a biotch or a prima donna), and you are on time eventually photographers will request to work with you. And that is important. You are going to want to build your portfolio as much as possible. Even the not so well known models can live quite comfortably.

Good luck
    kpangor Posts: 357, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2008, 04:09 PM
    People wants to be light caus' they dark loll
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Sep 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I've been wondering the same thing!!

Just didn't have the guts to post the question in fear of it getting erased..

Why can't people just be happy with what God gave them?

I understand if it's a medical condition, like they have weird spots that are darker than others, but people who use it to try and change their skin color just for asthetics.. now that's ridiculous
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Sep 4, 2008, 03:14 AM
    Then we should be saying this about everything that we do in life. No one should colour, straighten, perm their hair. NO one should use a sun bed. No one should wear make up. No one should have plastic surgery...

I am so glad that we live in a world where mostly, there is freedom of choice. If it's not for you, then it's not for you, but if someone wishes to change something about themselves that they believe will make them happier, I personally, think that no one should stand in judgement and wonder why. Each to their own I say.

And I don't think that anyone would have deleted your post. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else.
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Sep 4, 2008, 03:36 AM
    I don't understand how a whole forum is dedicated to SKIN LIGHTENING!

Isn't it known that people look better with color?
    It's a matter of personal preference. Some westerners want a tan. Some coloured people would like to be lighter.

I'm happy with my colour. I'd love it to be more even though.

Sep 4, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHARANI
    Then we should be saying this about everything that we do in life. No one should colour, straighten, perm their hair. NO one should use a sun bed. No one should wear make up. No one should have plastic surgery............
    I've changed my hair color, because sometimes I like my hair auburn, light brown, or jet black. I straightened my hair to make it more manageable (it takes awhile to style curly hair). I want to get a breast lift, because I breastfed for a year, and my ducks are flying south (if you know what I mean). I sometimes wear eye shadow and liner, because it makes my eyes stand out and look sexy. People tan because the want to add some color to their skin, mainly they don't want to look like casper, or my favorite, the feeling that they just came from an awesome vacation.
    Now, Maharani, what reasons would someone want to use a permanent skin lightener?
    RedDiamond Posts: 359, Reputation: 9

Sep 4, 2008, 11:31 AM
    lofftopic... lol^ at ducks are flying south... thats a cute expression... made my day. :-)
    sharna_h Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Me personally I don't want to be WHITE. I would like to have olive skin tone. I am just a bit darker than olive.

The way I see it, if white people want to be tan / olive then why can't darker people want the same?

If someone wants white skin, a thin nose, wear light eye contacts etc then I believe they are trying to be white.
    Vicky_D Posts: 254, Reputation: 19

Sep 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharna_h
    Me personally I don't want to be WHITE. I would like to have olive skin tone. I am just a bit darker than olive.

the way I see it, if white people want to be tan / olive then why can't darker people want the same?

If someone wants white skin, a thin nose, wear light eye contacts etc then I believe they are trying to be white.
    They're trying to be white? There are plenty of Africans/blacks/Asians/Hispanics with thin noses, light eyes, and lighter skin.

So maybe they just want certain features. White people don't own thin noses, light eyes, or light skin. They don't have a monopoly on these features, and they aren't the only ones who naturally have them.

Just sayin'.
    sharna_h Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_D
    They're trying to be white? There are plenty of Africans/blacks/Asians/Hispanics with thin noses, light eyes, and lighter skin.

So maybe they just want certain features. White people don't own thin noses, light eyes, or light skin. They don't have a monopoly on these features, and they aren't the only ones who naturally have them.

Just sayin'.
    Well how can anyone try if they already have it? You're missing my point. What I am talking about is physically changing ones appearance to look white. That is, skin lightning, nose job, wear blue contacts etc

If you look at the MAJORITY of white celebrities in particular, they do not have wide noses, which is why most would use the term thin or small.
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeouslady
    avaanstar,you are very beautiful both in winter and summer.i am half black too and recently cut off all my relaxed hair and it's been a year now,but i am loving my natural hair and i was really inspired when i saw your pictures and how beautiful you are and your hair.are you half black and half white?just want to know what mix you are with black.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I'm half Ugandan (african) and white.
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fjsmith81
    I don't take pictures anymore, and I'm not being facetious. I don't know why, maybe it just brings back bad memories and everytime I see a camera I want to curl up in the fetal position and just suck my thumb. I am so just kidding. But that's one part of my life that is over, and as I look at pictures of myself I realize that I can not turn back time. I think that that was a time when I was most beautiful. I still think that I am beautiful, but not like that, and it just does something to me.

Anywho, I think I smell an aspiring model. If you want to model, in the process of modeling, or have something in mind about modeling I will give you this piece of advice. It was hard when I did it awhile back, and I know that it is even harder for a woman of color nowadays. Do anything you can, print (that includes catalogs, mags. etc), runway (high fashion-especially if you are over five ten), commercials, extras in movies, even trade shows. Anything you can to build your portfolio. If an agency won't pick you up, no sweat, do freelance work. If you have the look, a great attitude (which is mega important, no one want to work with a biotch or a prima donna), and you are on time eventually photographers will request to work with you. And that is important. You are going to want to build your portfolio as much as possible. Even the not so well known models can live quite comfortably.

Good luck
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    A model is not what I want to be. :]

I am more into math and psychology.
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Sep 5, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Whoa avaanstar you got the looks and the brains! You go girl!

Sep 5, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    A model is not what i want to be. :]

I am more into math and psychology.

Good for you. I love it when women, aspire to be more than the "traditional" female role.
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Sep 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Well, I choose to be lighter because hate being darkskin. I got teased for it in elementary, and some of middle school and constantly got looked over by guys all through high school because of it. I never accepted my skin color and begged my mother to take me to a derm so I can get hydroquinone which she did.

Ever since I was 17 I have bleached my skin. I observed that I get noticed more from men. Much more, they break their backs to get to me then. When the cream stops working, the men don't notice me as much. It has nothing to do with having less confidence when I am darker.. a lot of times I don't even realize how dark I have gotten until I notice that guys aren't checking me out as often as they used to. That's when I know I need to find another bleaching cream.

So in essence, I hate being dark and will NEVER accept it. If I had never used a bleaching cream in my life, I'd probably would have never dated at all. Without the cream, I am very very chocolate. I look at my pics from childhood and cringe. Some of them I rip apart and throw away in the garbage. I don't ever want to go back to that color again. I despise it. If some people want to accept it, and stay their natural dark selves good for them, but that doesn't mean other people have to, all of our experiences are different and maybe they didn't have it as difficult as others. I just know how lighter complected women are treated in scoiety. And I see everyday, when a woman has lightskin or mixed kids, I watch how people over compliment the baby, and say how gorgeous and lucky he/she is to have lightskin and light eyes. Why would I not want that kind of attention? So that's why I bleach and wear colored contacts.

Now, when I am darkskin I do get some men, but the quality of men really suck, and they are few and far between. When I am lighter, guys are more struck by my beauty, and treat me a lot nicer. When I am darker, they are kind of 'meh' about me, and don't really pursue me. It's like I have to try much harder.

So that is why I use bleaching creams, (light colored contact lenses help a lot too) and will not stop until the day I die.
    nikki1000 Posts: 98, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Wow some of these comments... its sounding to me like bleaching your skin is not the issue perhaps seeing a counselor would be more beneficial in peoples sense of self worth

You always hear black men being brought up with ''dark'' skinned women issues perhaps date outside of your race broaden your horizons
    Black men have widened their options in the dating pool for years its about time some women do the same if the black men YOU choose to seek out are so hung up on skin color
    If the love isn't coming to you go and find it elsewhere

I'm a black woman and have NEVER experienced any negativity from black men nor do I have any problem getting them

I honesty believe this not ALL but quite a big part is to do with yourself if you mix with people who are hung up on color and are narrow minded and only see that then no wonder you have a poor self opinion on yourself

This is why it is important to broaden your social circle you really do learn so much more that way travel see the world mix with people you normally wouldn't mix with and these issues of being treated ''better'' because you are ''dark'' will be yesterdays news

As you will soon learn YOUR own self of sense WORTH will be what is important to YOU not some hood rat color struck black man!
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Sep 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
    I'm not interested in widening my dating options. For one financially it is not an option to move anywhere, and two I am not attracted to non black men. I don't really care for them at all. I plan on getting plastic surgery as well so that my features are more keen and not the broad West African featues I have. I loathe when people ask me if I am from Africa or Jamaica. It pisses me off because they are looked down upon even more than Black Americans and the women are not considered to be as attractive as East African women.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Interests of Wealthy people vs Less wealthy people [ 3 Answers ]

I know that it is a well know fact that affluent people often have very different interests (i.e. in sport) to poorer people, even when they live in proximity. Is there a theory that some geogpraher has made? Or is it just a common stereotype/knowledge?

99 Honda accord no parking lights or dashboard background light + SRS Light on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I believe a problematic bulb caused a short in my car's Electrical system. The reason I say this, is that the following Problems have come up since I used the trailer... 1. SRS light is now on 2. The light that illuminates the spedometer, RPM's, and gas (background light) doesn't...

Leviton PR150 Motion LIght Control Flickers light instead of keeping them on [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I installed a Leviton Motion Sensor Light Control (PR150). In the on position it works fine, the lights are one. But on auto it seems to only flicker the lights. They do not get to full brightness and they flash. It looks like the sensor is also acting weird as the LED light on the...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search