Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 09:47 PM
    I have a mare two months pregnant.how long can she be ridden?

How long can a pregnant mare be ridden?
    ntroyn Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2008, 11:04 PM

I was always told that if the mare is used to exercise, then she should continue with exercise, as long as there are no problems. I know when my mare was pregnant, I continued to ride her until around 2 months before the foal was born. By that time, she was too big to get the saddle on anyway.
    What you really need to do though is check with your vet. Your vet is the one who knows your horse best and will know what will be best for her, and the unborn foal. Keeping in touch with your vet will also help ensure everything goes smoothly throughout the pregnancy and the birthing process, etc.
    Oh yes, don't be surprised if your mare acts mellower during her period of pregnancy. It's one of the nicer side effects. Also be sure that, if you do ride her, that you pay attention to her changing dimensions, as you may need to use a larger treed saddle to accommodate her and keep her comfortable.
    Enjoy!
    horse101 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 05:27 PM
    I would get the horse vet checked and as long as she is healthy you can ride up to 2 months prior to birth. It's better if you keep up her condition anyway, rather than letter her sit around. However, if she becomes agitaded or grumpy either only ride her at a walk or lead her around. If you have trails near where she is kept, taking her out on a nice quiet hack will really benefit her. Don't be too vigorous, take it easy but, keep up the work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child's safety [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question I wanted to just push around to see others thoughts. A friend of mine is a alcoholic. She has openly admitted this, and has tried to get help from AA. When she get's in to the program she seems worse. She'll call my house crying drunk all hours of the day saying she can't...

Safety for pets on halloween [ 1 Answers ]

Make sure all pets are inside during the night the youngsters are Halloween trick'r-treating, especially black pets, to avoid the heartbreak of hideous "pranks." In fact, during the entire month of October, all black pets should be kept indoors. The safest thing for both you and your animals is to...

Worried about Grandaughter's safety [ 7 Answers ]

THIS IS A VERY LONG STORY... but I would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to answer! I'm wondering how I can go about getting custody of my 10 year old granddaughter. Recently, Kelsey has expressed to me that she doesn't like her house and she wants to come live with me. She...

View more questions Search