Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfalk1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Difference between source and use of funds
    Dear Instructor,

This semester I am taking Finance 330. I understand everything except when it comes down to determining the difference between a source and use of funds. I understand that use of funds is issuing money, and source of funds of borrowing money, and that an increase in assets and decrease in liability is called a use (decrease in assets and increase in liability is a source. However, I am still unclear as to why a negative cash flow from assets can be a use and then in another equation our instructor told us it was a source . How do you know if the cash flow from assets is on the left or right? (he said it had to do with that). If cash flow to creditors and cash flow to stockholders are negative then they are sources. I still need a better way to tell if it's a source or a use. If you have any ideas or helpful way of explaining this concept please let me know as soon as possible. I have a quiz on Tues.

Sincerely,
    Confused student
    wingrun Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Sep 11, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I always had difficulties with this but I guess if your major is accounting you will eventually get used to it. Just a few tips to ease your memory of source and use, credit and debit.

If asset goes up, it's a use.
    If asset goes down, it's a source.

If a Liability or Equity goes up, it's a source. (you can tell it's the opposite of asset).
    If a Liability or Equity goes down, it's a use.

Even an easier way to remember:
    A down = source
    A up = use
    L,E up = source
    L,E down = use.

as for credit and debit and which side to add the number, here's the way to remember it:

ASSET | LIABILITY/EQUITY
    + - | - +

I tried to make the above look like a balance sheet. Hopefully this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open Source [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there are some specific software engineering models for open source. This would help in my reseach. How does open source model differ from spiral model for example? And what are the existing open source quality assurance models/standards. Thank you :)

Ratings source? [ 1 Answers ]

:o :o Who decides the 4-star etc movie ratings? Are they polled? Is there some super movie board? It can't be on attendance, can it! Also--how come it says Times Roman here, and color, but that's not what appears? :o :o Thanks ScottGem--are these newspaper, magazine, radio and TV...

Water source [ 2 Answers ]

I am turning my garage into two bedrooms and a bath. Problem is the floor is concrete and the closest water source already plumbed in is about 40 feet away. However, the water line to the main house goes along the outside of the garage wall. Can I tap into it at that source instead of going to...

Open Source [ 1 Answers ]

Microsoft said on Wednesday that the U.S. software giant would offer licenses for some of its source code in a bid to comply with antitrust requirements set by the European Commission.Yipee. This of course does not mean,it's time to open the champagne bottles,phone a "rival",and say how much is...

View more questions Search