Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Apr 30, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Eating Disorder?
    My apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong area as I am not entirely sure where this should be asked. My question is about eating disorders. Can a slightly overweight person be anorexic or bulimic? How do you know if a person has an eating disorder? Any ideas? :confused:
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

May 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Hi,

Try this one: ANRED: The Better-Known Eating Disorders .

Basically just because one is overweight or even obese doesn't necessarily mean that they have anorexia or bulimia.

Anorexics tend to be exceedingly skinny when they get bad with the disorder. At first one may not be able to tell though. I myself am pretty skinny (but according to BMI, I am within normal weight range) and people call me anorexic, but I am not. I LOVE food! But anorexics don't because they have an irrational fear of being fat (even if they're underweight). They will starve themselves or if someone makes them eat, they force themselves to vomit it up. Most try to hide their problem, as do bulimics.

Bulimics I don't know a lot about, so check out the link.

Hope this helps.

May 1, 2006, 04:24 PM
    What I meant was, can a person be bulimic or anorexic and still be overweight? Do you have to be underweight to be considered to have an eating disorder?
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

May 1, 2006, 04:34 PM
    The very definition of anorexia implies that the person must be underweight, so no, one cannot be overweight and anorexic. As the website I posted states: "Weighs 85% or less than what is developmentally expected for age and height. " is a criteria of anorexia.

It also states for bulimia: "Weight may be normal or near normal unless anorexia is also present" therefore also implying that one doesn't have to be overweight to be bulimic and vice versa. But you can be overweight and bulimic. One just has to have the symptoms. One can be diagnosed, therefore, and not be underweight either.

Did the link I posted not work?

May 1, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Well thank you very much. I only had a minute before, I am going to the website now. Thank you very much, you have given me some good information. Thank you for the link.
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

May 1, 2006, 10:25 PM
    Also read:

The Serotonin Connection. See here

For a possible explanation of anorexia and bulimia.

May 2, 2006, 09:21 PM
    jurplesman, there was a lot of information on that website you gave me. I'm not sure I understand it all, but I will try. Thanks for the info.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

May 2, 2006, 10:03 PM
    YES. Many bulimics are in fact, overweight. Also, their weight is more prone to fluctuation than with anorexics, who generally are quite underweight with a strong decline pattern.

While sever anorexia has some physically obvious traits - waif-like skinniness, "chipmunk" face (where the cheeks look swollen and the eyes appear more popped out), bulimia is not so easy to spot. Watch someone who you are suspicious of. Note how soon after the meal they disappear to the bathroom. Check if you can smell vomit in the bathroom after they have been there. Chronic, longterm sufferers of bulimia will often have poor teeth from bile acids, which erode enamel.

Also, many sufferers of diabetes have problems with food, and use their insulin to control their weight (very dangerous)

So yes, you CAN have an eating disorder and be overweight.

May 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
    Thank you very much giggles. This really answered my question. I guess now I have to figure out how to help someone when they don't want to be helped.
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

May 12, 2006, 09:34 PM
    It is very difficult to help someone who does not want to be helped.
    rampdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
    You can find out a lot of information about eating disorders and things like co-occuring disorders from the experts at Rogers Eating Disorders Center in Wisconsin. They are the national leader in treating this sort of illness and have great results with not only children and adolescents, but men and athletes as well.
    Clemintine Posts: 105, Reputation: 30

Oct 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
    This is a good topic to ask this question in as eating disorders are a mental thing!
    You do not have to be underweight to be diagnosed with an ED, overeating and binge eating disorders are eating disorders too.
    Eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS) Is when someone shows many characteristics of an eating disorder but isn't underweight or overweight.
    rampdog2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 09:12 AM
    This is most likely a question for a Doctor or Nurse who specializes in eating disorders. The Eating Disorders Center at Rogers hospital is one such place, and they are a top rated organization in the country.
    rampdog2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 09:15 AM
    Comment on rampdog's post
    Very True, Rogers Eating disorders center is a great place to search within to help yourself to recover from the horror of an eating disorder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eating Disorder, maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 15years old , and am the normal weight for my age . For the past 3 months I've keep being continuously sick in the mornings and in the afternoon, even without eating anything. I've had blood tests done which didn't show anything , but the idea entered my head that I may be making...

Do I have a sleeping disorder? [ 21 Answers ]

Im am so tired these days. Im having problems sleeping at night no matter how tired I am. It doesn't happen every night but at least twice a week. I have to be up Mon - Fri at 7.30am, and some days at work I still feel asleep. I don't believe I have anything on my mind keeping me up, but I...

Eating disorder [ 8 Answers ]

Has any one suffered from eating disorder? I have eatind disorder since I was 17.actually I have no idea what I have exactly, one day I woke up so bloated and I can smell the food from last night in my stomach and from that day regular meals like 3 times a day makes me bloated like I am 6 months...

Sexual disorder [ 5 Answers ]

I am 22 male. Gay. How to relieve from this desire

My cat has a disorder [ 1 Answers ]

My cat just turned 2 years in Dec of 2004. I have had her since she was a couple weeks old. I didn't have to buy her, the kittens were given out for free, so I had no information on the cat's parents. When she was almost 1 year I moved from Louisiana(where I got her) to Rhode Island, where we are...

View more questions Search