Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulajean1965 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Which program is best?
    I was just wondering which program would be the best for burning cds or dvds.

I have Roxio, CyberLink PowerDVD and of course windows media player.

I have the disk for Roxio and have downloaded it myself, but the CyberLink came on my computer.

Is is really necessary to keep the media player?

I have a feeling that one of these programs may be keeping me from being able to use any new program. I cannot download anything to my computer but I was able to view a movie about 3 days ago!
    :confused: :rolleyes:

Is there any hope for me and my computer??
    Thanks in advance!!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Sometimes when installing dvd programs like you have, this situation comes up

When you say burning cd's what exactly are you burning? ( music, files, etc.. ) or just anything you want to burn

Is this the only question or are you having other issues as well, it seems to be a 2 or 3 part question

Aug 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
    I want to burn some music cds (of my dad) and some photos. Haven't been able to do either for quite some time now.

I like the Roxio and am vary familiar and comfortable with this program. However, I cannot run ANY new program disks and have some that I need to download in order to teach my son at home. (math, science, english.. . etc.)

What is your opinion of CyberLink PowerDVD? It is on my computer, but I have never used it before.

Sorry if I confused anyone with my multiple questions!
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 09:51 PM
    If you have not used it and you are comfortable with roxio, uninstall powerdvd

Powerdvd came with my computer and as I personally use Nero for burning, I unisntalled powerdvd with no problems (as I am comfortable with Nero)

However, I cannot run ANY new program disks and have some that I need to download in order to teach my son at home.
    Why are you not able to run discs, do error messages come up or anything?

Did these problems come after you installed roxio?

So, first unisntall powerdvd and see if that helps and post back with anything that may come up and why you can't run New programs you mentioned.

Aug 31, 2008, 08:54 AM
    I uninstalled powerdvd with no problems. Thank you!
    These problems weren't until after I installed Roxio but it had been on my computer for about 3 months before they began.

When I do place a cd/dvd in the drive, I get the message "insert a disk" on both drives. The drive lights up like it is going to work then it quits. The drive changes from "CD/DVD-RW Drive (D:)" to "CD Drive (D:)" and the icon changes to a CD.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Below addresses your problem

Upperfilters
    Follow method 2 on this link, if this does not resolve problem, the changes you may have made will not effect your computer operation in any way - even if you do not get error 31 follow these steps:
    You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Registry
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. If uncomfortable with using Registry Editor, see if you can find someone who is comfortable and that you can Trust.
    Use Registry Editor at own risk.

Aug 31, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paulajean1965
    I was just wondering which program would be the best for burning cds or dvds.

I have Roxio, CyberLink PowerDVD and of course windows media player.

I have the disk for Roxio and have downloaded it myself, but the CyberLink came on my computer.

Is is really necessary to keep the media player?

I have a feeling that one of these programs may be keeping me from being able to use any new program. I cannot download anything to my computer but I was able to view a movie about 3 days ago!
    :confused: :rolleyes:

Is there any hope for me and my computer????
    Thanks in advance!!!!
    Well. I tried this and it didn't seem to help either!
    I can't remove the recording program and reload it either.
    Any more ideas??
    I thank you for all of your help so far!
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Did you remove the upper and lower filters? And then restart PC?

Do you mean you cannot uninstall roxio, what happens when you try to uninstall?

Check this,
    Click start, settings, control pane, system icon, hardware tab and device mgr
    Are there any yellow marks anywhere, if so, what

Remove Roxio software trails from your computer
    Roxio Zap will zap any Roxio software from your computer.

This application helps you uninstall all Roxio Software applications and will erase all data left behind by these.

Before running RoxiZap you must manually uninstall all Roxio software.
    Requirements:
    ■ Roxio Software
    Download Roxio Zap 1.0 - Remove Roxio software trails from your computer - Softpedia

POst back

Aug 31, 2008, 09:09 PM
    It will let me remove it but if I remove Roxio, my dvd/cd drives aren't working and then I won't be able to reload it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Are you running XP and do you have a XP cd?

Aug 31, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Yes, running xp home edition and yes, I have the disk
    katringette22 Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Nero burning room works really good
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 07:34 AM
    At this point go with a repair installation

Repair Installation
    A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Sep 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    Are you running XP and do you have a XP cd?
    Yes, I am running XP and I also have the disk.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
    If stlll have ing problems with system, youi can try the repair installation above, you will not lose any data or prgrams and stuff, it only replaces the system files from the CD

Once a repair installation is don, you will have to go to windows update and get all updates again

If problems other than system, where you do you exactly stand right now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What program should I use? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a little bit of a computer illiterate but I want to know what program(s) should I use if I want to make cg (computer graphics)? :p

How to program [ 1 Answers ]

Westinghouse digital timer model 28442 programing instructions :D

Program.exe [ 2 Answers ]

I have Windows 98 and when I am on craigslist and click on an email from the list it says PROGRAM.exe is needed to email that person. When I try to locate PROGRAM.exe on my computer it says it can't be found. What can I do to resolve this problem ? Can anyone help me with this problem, I have...

Zip program [ 4 Answers ]

Does a zip program comes with windows 98se? If so what is it? Kat.

View more questions Search