Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kamala55 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Umpiring Call
    When a runner tags up from a base on a flyout, why does the fielding team need to tag the base to find out if the runner tagged up too early? I mean why doesn't the umpire make the call automatically. I mean the umpire needs to already know this is the fielding team tags the base and asks. Why is this the only play (that I know of) that a umpire won't make as pasrt of their umpiring job?

Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Not even close.

When the fielding team throws the ball to the base they are making an "Appeal Play". In this situation, they would be appealing to the umpire that the runner left the base to soon.

Now for the Plate Umpire. He is supposed to position himself/herself so that he can see the first touch by the outfielder and the runner. If the ump sees the runner leave the base to soon, it is nothing until the defense makes the appeal. In order for the ump to rule on the infraction, the ump must see the player leave the base early. If he does not see the player leave early then the runner is safe.

Years ago, there was no appeal necessary. If we saw the runner leave to early, we banged the runner out. However MLB decided to change the rule to require the appeal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I not call her? [ 5 Answers ]

I have posted here previously about my relationship with my girlfriend and her inconsistent behavior. We have been off and on the last few weeks, talking about things and trying to make it work. I went to a costume party on Saturday night, while she went out with her girlfriends. I had my phone...

Why doesn't he call me? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok o I started going out with this guy named Brooks on the very last day of school and I am 12 so Its not like I get to see him over the summer. And I gave him my number on the last day of school and he hasn't called me and school ended on Tuesday and its Friday! Every time I call him he doesn't...

Why doesn't he call [ 3 Answers ]

I really like this guy and thought he liked me. We met up a few times and things were going well, I then unfortunately became ill and couldn't see him for a while but he was very patient and said he would wait until I was feeling better. My confidence was low and we eventually agreed to meet a...

Not sure what to call this. [ 7 Answers ]

Good Day ladies, I will get straight to the point... Wed. Aug 8th was the 1st day of my cycle... on Aug. 22nd was the day I felt my ovulation with cramping on my left side for about and hour... My boyfriend and I had intercourse on the day after ovulation and days after that... I started getting a...

Why does he call ME fat! [ 7 Answers ]

OK, I'm 13 years of age and about 2 months ago I started excersing more to run faster on the mile at school. So, now I've lost like 20-30 lbs. or more and my brother still is calling me fat@ss and well you get the picture, because of that I started excersing and to catch my crushes eye... but if I...

View more questions Search