Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StevieBoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Concrete Countertop
    We are NOT experienced enough to make a real concrete countertop. I was wondering if I could put Wonderboard on the existing countertop, use wood to make an edge all around, and then use about 1/2" of concrete over the top to make a "concrete" countertop. Would the concrete tend to crack? Would keeping it moist while drying help? Then, how do you polish the concrete? I would appreciate any advice. I have good intentions, but little experience.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 31, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Unfortunately your good intentions and little experience may lead to an unfavorable experience. You have to make a form 2" thick. I have done quite a bit of concrete over the years, but never countertops. I have seen this done on home improvement shows. You might check DIY or similar type of web-site's for more detail.

What I saw was they built a form right on top of the counter so that it was close to where it is being installed. It is going to be very heavy to move.

After building form, they used portland cement, which is the actual ingredient in concrete mix. The more portland that is used, the stronger the concrete. Mix the portland according to directions. If you are adding color, be sure to put the exact amount in each mixture. If possible, you should do the entire surface with one mix, so your color doesn't vary too much. As you are pouring it into the form, you have to "vibrate" the concrete up and down to fill air voids. Remember that the bottom will be the top when you flip it over. You will really have to vibrate a lot over on the edges, otherwise you will get ugly air voids in the concrete.

Once you have let it set up, and are ready to install, be careful not to let it drop. It will break easily, especially in the first 30 days.

Good Luck,
    Al
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 09:20 AM
    This site may help:
    Concrete Countertops - Thickness and Weight Implications for Concrete Counters - The Concrete Network

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poured Concrete Steps on Concrete Patio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently had a large portion of my driveway torn out/replaced, a 12 x 18 patio poured, and 3 half moons steps poured, all of 6 bag mix concrete. The flatwork looks great, virtually flawless. The steps, on the other hand, don't. After removing the forms/frame for the three...

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

View more questions Search