Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajovrom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Hybrid car batteries
    Why can't hybrid cars get above about 40mph only using electricity? Is it because there is not enough power or because scientists don't know how to convert the power at higher voltage?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:01 AM

I just saw this post, so sorry for being so late with a response. I believe the answer has to do with a couple of factors. First, hybrid cars manufacturers need to balance the benefits of having the batery pack against the weight and space penalty. Hybrid cars are engineered the to use battery power for low-speed stop and go driving, and the gas engine for higher speed sustained driving. Consequently, the electric motor and transmission are optimized for low speed operation, and not for sustained high speed driving. Also the battery pack is minimal - it's not sized to provide enough continuous energy for high speed operation. This saves weight and space. But there is nothing inherent in electric vehicles that preclude high speeds. The Tesla and Chevy Volt are designed from the ground up for all-electric operation, and so are designed to accelerate and cruise at highway speed for sustained distances on elecricity alone. They have much larger and heavier battery packs and elecric motors than hybrids. The Volt will have a small gasoline engine, but not for powering the wheels - it will run a generator to recharge the batteries on the go if needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hybrid Heat Pump with Gas back up [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to replace my current system with one of these new systems. I live in CT so it would have to be propane as the gas. I was wondering what anyone knows about these heat pump gas systems. The manufacturers are claiming quite a bit of cost savings.. and I know heat pumps have come a long...

04 civic hybrid starting issue [ 2 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for about a week now. I am NOT competent under the hood, so be gentle :) Tried to turn it over and got a little cranking but mostly loud clicking noises and the lights going on and off. If it does turn over under these circumstances, the battery light will be on and...

Tax deduction on hybrid [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am non-residient alient having Nationality Indian and for 2005 my visa status was F1 and then OPT. I bought a Honda civic hybrid so I have question whether I can have a tax deduction on it. I have read following links and I am confuse.. ...

Hybrid automobiles [ 6 Answers ]

Would like to know the good and bad experiences people who now own hybrid cars have had. Planning on buying a new car this October and need info to make a smart decision. Plan on going to the auto show at McCormick Place so I can ask ?'s directly and see what will be offered for the 2006 year in...

View more questions Search