Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PRESTON2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Appealing Cancellation of Health Insurance
    I am a retiree and worked in New York. I was offered continuation of my health insurance for life. I was out of town and thought I paid it electronically through my bank. When I came home on the 25th of June, I was going over my bills and saw that it was never paid so I paid it immediately through my bank. By the time the bank sent the payment they received it one day past the grace period. They accepted my payments for June, July and August and they also paid a claim for July 17th. I was never notified by mail or any other was of the cancellation of my policy as of June 30th. The only way I found out about the problem was because I went to fill a prescription in the middle of August for my wife and they said there was a problem with my card. I was able to get my prescription on July 17th with no problem. Never realizing the problem with my insurance I called my past employer's medical benefits department and they said it was cancelled. I asked them to reinstate the insurance since nobody has informed me of the cancellation and that I was up to date with the payments and they said it was to late and any money due me will come back. So far I haven't seen any money.
    I would like to know if they are supposed to notify me of the cancellation and I would also like to know if I can fight this and also who I can contact in the state of New York on this matter?

Thanking you in Advance
    Jim
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Contact the NYS Insurance Department.

I think it's a longshot though. If the payment was actually received after the grace period they they are within their rights to cancel. The fact that they accepted payments and paid claims is the only thing you have in your favor.

Will your former employer go to bat for you?
    PRESTON2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 10:13 PM
    I am not sure if the employer will go to bat for me. They are the one who said they checked with United Healthcare and it was to late to reinstate. I will try to get in touch with the health benefit manager.The fact that they never notified me of the cancellation doesn't matter? My wife was a benefits manager and she said they were able to reverse the cancellation even after two months for someone who had cancer. They did not know they had the disease and therefore they reinstated him.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2008, 09:23 AM
    What your wife related was a different situation. And no, even three months without a cancellation notice is not a large issue. Again, the fact that they accepted payments and processed claims is your best defence.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Yes, since they accepted the payment and did pay a claim during that person, is a good thing for you,

One day after grace period, is one day after grace, and they do not have to accept it after that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is catherine,my husband is 65 years old and on social security and medicare he had a mass heart jan 16.2007 his income is about $1550.a month his co-pay for his medication is around $140.00 +rent $565.00 and other monthly payment $450.00 and $400.00 food for the two of us he is on a...

Health Insurance [ 7 Answers ]

I have had an existing kidney condition since I was six years old. I have had to have half of my left kidney removed. I also smoke so it's hard to find affordable health insurance. Do you have any ideas of any companies that will allow me health insurance at affordable price.

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor's office will not release a claim to me with all the necessary information such as the diagnosis code and service code (cpt) because of HIPAA ? I have a self insured plan, the doctor is non-par and will not bill it, and I am trying to get myself paid. How can I get this information ? And...

Health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Some of you may already know that I've been looking for affordable health insurance for my family. I have a few questions. What are these companies that I'm calling that look up different quotes for you and say that they will be your agent to deal with the insurance company? Do you have to...

View more questions Search