Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knockmdead Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 02:43 PM
    How can I make money from my computer?
    I may end up a stay at home father and need to bring in some income I have a limited knowledge of fashion, dogs and crime prevention
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Join the club of adventurous people who don't want to spend 50. Dollars to find out and be disillusioned. No not me, I already have a good job now but did at one time do some investigating with my son when he was in college and got scammed by several people.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Hi, knockmdead!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

If you are talking about making money by using your computer, then you would need to have some specialized skills in order to do that, like able to do medical transcription for a hospital or doctors office or formatting spreadsheets so that you might be able to work for an attorney. I worked on my home computer for awhile formatting spreadsheets for a tax attorney.

Are there any other skills you have other than those that you've already mentioned, please? Most of the work that I do I would consider to be home-based. I don't make money off what I do on the computer, but I do get most of my business for what I do from the free ads that I have placed on the Internet.

Thanks!
    Christian at Heart Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Sep 12, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Hi Knockmdead,
    I started my business Beaded Jewels in January this year. I design and make beaded jewelry.I created a website with a website builder learned all I needed to know from tutorials and asking questions here and elsewere on the web. I have a booming business selling my beaded jewelry and have a nice income. I probably work more then others but its in my shop at home and that's well worth it . I won't be in the black this year but next year. The first couple of years are hard one way or another. Making the website is not everything , it needs to be noticed so there are hard long never ending ours as your own webmaster.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian at Heart
    Hi Knockmdead,
    I started my business Beaded Jewels in January this year. I design and make beaded jewelry.I created a website with a website builder learned all I needed to know from tutorials and asking questions here and elsewere on the web. I have a booming business selling my beaded jewelry and have a nice income. I probably work more then others but its in my shop at home and thats well worth it . I won't be in the black this year but next year. The first couple of years are hard one way or another. making the website is not everything , it needs to be noticed so there are hard long never ending ours as your own webmaster.
    Hi, Christian at Heart!

Your concept of making jewelry and selling it via advertising on the Internet in some way is something that I have considered in the past, and your posting about it has again piquéd my interest in it. I have a number of small businesses that I run, and most of my business comes from the free ads that I have placed on the Internet.

I have also started some free websites for myself, but they are still in development. The free advertising that I do already on the Internet does get me quite a bit of business, though.

Sep 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Hi Clough
    That's what I do... too. I join a lot of forums or social networks like ning and either talk about my website or live links in my signatures that peole click on and find my site that way. Either way it takes a lot of elbow greese and determination to get a online business going. Buit its fun also couse you the boss
    ohsmilnme Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
    I make money by people clicking on the ads on my website and by selling my e-book. Google policy prohibits disclosing the actual amount, but I can give you a range. I have made a low of $857 per month to a high of $1300 per month. My site is about resume writing. Other sites, such as on debt-relief, can make a lot more, but the niche is much more competitive. If you want to learn more about it, just go to my resume writing site and click the tab "My Passion" and I'll tell you how I got started.

Your Professional Resume is Essential!

~Carla

Sep 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Dear Ohsmilnme,
    I have only one question... lol do they or you own the site? What I mean are you the webmaster or do have someone do the work for you ? See I learned it all myself. 0n Jan. 23rd this year I published my website for the very first time. I started building my website in Dec of 2007. I downloaded a web site builder read the tutorials and did it. I work from home as well. Sometimes it feels a little harder, may because I am german and english is my second language. But I know getting over 50 buying customer a month to buy my unique handcrafted beaded jewelry and my composed relaxing instrumental music that's pretty good business for me as well. And I have access to my website day and night can edit it and republish because I am my own webmaster.
    ohsmilnme Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2008, 08:35 AM
    I do all the writing and editing myself, too. I can't afford to pay someone else to do it, and more importantly, I don't trust anyone else to do it the way I want it done.

Since I stayed at home with my girls for about 7 years before I started this, I was a little rusty on skills, too. I worked in Human Resources before I quit to become a full-time mom, but I still lost out by not keeping up with technology. Learning how to create the site was a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad. It started slowly at first, then grew over time. Now I get over 55,000 visitors to my site every month. I wish I could convert the sales better, but I think that's a function of providing too much information on my site. Why should they buy the e-book when so much information is already available?

Anyway, it's turned into a great side business and I am now working on a couple of other sites which I hope bring in good money, too.

If I can get 3 sites to make $1000 per month, I'll be happy. It will probaby take me another year and a half to get there, but then it will all be passive income. I won't have to do much of anything.

Hope that helps.

~Carla
    DLL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    I have been working on the web now for a few years and have found, like Christian at Heart
    Did. It does take a lot of work.
    You only get out of it what you put into it.
    There are a number of companies that will provide the tools you need and also the product and will drop ship the products to your customers for you.
    Problem is everybody is doing it and Especially on EBAY so it can be vary frustrating.
    The best way to be successful on the web I feel is to offer a product or service that is something is unique and it helps if you enjoy it.
    Find one or to niche products or do like Christian at Heart did with her beads, as you can tell she has had success with this.
    Publish a ebook based on your knowledge of Crime Prevention and Dogs ( It's a start)
    The draw back to any internet business is for me. Driving the traffic to the sight, or your Blog. That is what I think is the toughest part of any web business. So many search engines and they all offer tools to help, for instance Google offers adsanse, a web crawler,
    And Pay per click as a start.
    Ohsmilnme and Christian at Heart use forums or social networks to get the word out.
    Must importantly, Find your niche. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 11:26 PM

Thread is now dated and has received a number of sufficient answers. However, thread has also attracted a number of spam advertisers.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to make Extra Money with my Computer [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... I am looking for ways to make extra money using my PC (Laptop). I was divorced 3 years ago, and as the courts would have it, I have to pay a lot in support payments. I have a good job in IT, but a lot of my income goes toward the support payments. Just looking to make a couple of hundred...

How to make money [ 1 Answers ]

How can I/a 12 year old, make money? Don't say alowece.

How can I make money using my computer? [ 2 Answers ]

Im always seeing these commercials about working at home using your computer. There are so many of them that I have to believe its just another scam. I don't want to be a billionaire, I just want to make as much money as I would at a normal job. Im not really good with computers, but I can learn!...

View more questions Search