Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
    What is good for hair ball hacking?
    My cat is 4 years old now.

Up until the past two weeks, I've never seen her hack like she's trying to get a hair ball loose but that seems to be what is going on now.

She has, as all cats do, thrown up every now and then, but not much.

Now, she has this hacking going on 2 or 3 times a day.

I remember my dad used to give our cats a little vaseline petroleum jelly to help them get the hairball down, instead of having it come back up, but I don't know if he knew what he was doing or not, or if it is even good for the cat or not? The cats used to lick it right off his finger like they liked it, or knew that it would help them.

What do you suggest for this hacking cat?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Old remedies die hard, progunr. Your dad probably had the right idea and petroleum jelly has been around a long long time as you probably know and I still use it today for many purposes a few medical purposes, some unmentionable to say the least. But you know, and I may get shot down for this, try it. It can't hurt the cat and he may appreciate it. Modern day vets don't have the same ideas, as I must say. I treat my animals the way I know how from previous experience and what my dad and mom did and they are all healthy and happy.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 29, 2008, 02:31 PM
    If you take a look in most of the hairball remedies they are petroleum jelly. Laxatone available at vet offices are that with Malt flavor added.
    As pets age they require different needs. Is she inside/outside? Do you brush her? What is her diet?
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    If you take a look in most of the hairball remedies they are petroleum jelly. Laxatone available at vet offices are that with Malt flavor added.
    As pets age they require different needs. Is she inside/outside? Do you brush her? What is her diet?
    She NEVER goes outside, she doesn't even want to.

Yes, we brush her about once or twice a week, she is a very short haired cat.

She eats Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach adult dry food with a small, fancy feast wet
    Treat in the morning and at supper time.

We've never seen her hacking like she has for the past week or two.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 29, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Is the hacking truly hairballs? Or is see coughing? It could be something else. I woul dtake her to vets and see what they say.
    It could be allergy, it could be heartworms, heart issue, you just never know. I hope everything goes well for you and kitty.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
    She has always been very healthy, never been to the vet except for shots.

I tried a little vasaline, and it seemed to help, she didn't like it much though.

We'll keep an eye on her, if it doesn't seem to get better in a day or so, we'll get her to the kitty doc.
    AmyKat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 08:11 PM
    You can also try canned pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling but 100% plain, puréed pumpkin. You can sprinkle some parmasean or fish oil on it if she doesn't seem interested in the plain pumpkin. Pumpkin works like pepto for animals. It soothes and helps things get moving correctly and is a little more natural than vasoline.

If the vasoline seems to work better, you can always put it on her paws. Natural instinct will make her lick it off (and probably do a little dance, too).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair dye on highlighted hair? Good or bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

hiyaaa!!! i normally get my hair done at the hairdressers, blond highlights using foils. my roots are so bad at the moment and I can't afford to have them done so today after work (finish at 3) im going to tesco's to buy a hair dye... is this a bad idea dying highlighted hair??? would it be...

Any really good hair straightning products [ 1 Answers ]

I have curly hair and I hate it so I staighten my hair. But I get dead ends, split ends, and pretty much just killing my hair! Me and my straightner are lik best friends because I just can't live without it! So not using my straightner is a big NO! So if anyone knows any good hair protectet or deep...

I got base ball and foot ball trying to fine out how much [ 1 Answers ]

Oj simpson 1975 card Two pete rose cards Will mays baseball gold card 1964 Michael jordan rookie baseball card

Dark hair, how do I get a good shade of blue? [ 3 Answers ]

I have dark brown hair.. Its pretty dark. Where can I find a powerful hair dye, without bleaching? I just want it for a little while, as little as possible. I want to dye it a nice medium shade of blue. Its for a photo... So the shorter its lasts, and the more vibrant it looks (if I can get that...

Looking for good hair straightener, but not $$$ [ 1 Answers ]

Seems the hair straighteners that cost under $50 just don't straighten well enough. My daughters hair in particular, she says her cousin's hair straightener gets very hot and works really well, but I think it was $100 or more. Any suggestions on those?:confused:

View more questions Search