Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BSandy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Tomatoes are dying
    My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad although the others arestarting to have the yellow leaves at the base.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Sounds like not enough water gets down to the roots.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Have you grown tomatoes in this location before? Any walnut trees in the immediate area, they kill most vegetables like tomatoes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Tickle, may have been a coincidence. The walnut tree roots are what kills other plants, 500 meters is a bit too far for what I was thinking.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 03:16 PM
    .mmm, Okay, very old walnut trees with very big roots :)
    pdr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Get yourself a soil test kit (Home Depot,Lowes) and test for alkiline soil .Tomatoes thrive in acidic soil , if your soils pH is low acid , high alkiline or neutral ,your tomatoes will not fare well, and you may need to add sulfur. It can also be iron chlorosis,in which case you will want to add iron when you feed them.Ironite is a good product.If it is niether of those,cut back on your watering.Water them once a day,during morning hours and be sure they get plenty of sun for photosynthesis to take place.
    italianstyle Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Have you grown tomatoes in this location before? Any walnut trees in the immediate area, they kill most vegetables like tomatoes.
    hi where did you hear that about walnut trees killing tomatoes? I have 40 black walnut trees around my garden I get great tomatoes and veggies every year sounds like over watering to me .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Freezing Dried Tomatoes [ 2 Answers ]

Can I freeze dried tomatoes?

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search