Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
    President Obama
    Hello:

I don't know. Looks to me like he's unstoppable. Even the Fox guys were knocked out by his speech. He summed it up in one word, "enough!".

excon
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
    You got a link? I haven't seen what you are talking about! Unstoppable is a strong word Mr. excon.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 29, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Exceptional! I usually critique the political events fairly harsh, but it had the best presentation, and was the most appropriate speech, I've ever heard from a presidential candidate accepting nomination. Obama's running an educated campaign. It was blatantly obvious for those paying attention to current events and non-biased, that our country, the US, doesn't need nor should want John McCain (Bush crony) anywhere near the White House after the upcoming election.

YouTube - Barack Obama Acceptance Speech
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:12 AM
    I watched the Bill Clinton speech and was floored - he loves the guy! Also I wish I could deliver a speech like Bill.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Take a gander at the comments here: Digg - Barack Obama: "The American Promise"
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Lofty rhetoric ,red meat ,heavy on platitudes. Just what you expect from a nominees acceptance speech.

The key line :“If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from.” A bit of a projection if you ask me. McCain of course has a long record to run on whereas Zeus Obama's is paper thin. That is why he spend so much time attacking McCain in the speech. So much for the "new politics"and "post-partisanship". The onion has been peeled .

I read the speech this morning because I could not remember the point in it when he talked about his accomplisments . I found it so here it is(don't worry it's short and vague .)

"I believe that as hard as it will be, the change we need is coming, ..Because I've seen it. Because I've lived it. I've seen it in Illinois, when we provided health care to more children and moved more families from welfare to work. I've seen it in Washington, when we worked across party lines to open up government and hold lobbyists more accountable, to give better care for our veterans and keep nuclear weapons out of terrorist hands."

There you have it. His whole campaign is premised on the fact that the desire for change is so pronounced that all he really has to do is link McCain to Bush .And it may work if the country thinks that Bush is as toxic as Obama is banking on.

All his supporter here have pretty much said the same thing ;never getting specific about his plan. (he did attempt to be specific ,but his promises I have heard from Democrats (Clinton) before .)

But I will give high marks on delivery and for this line :
    And Democrats, we must also admit that fulfilling America's promise will require more than just money. It will require a renewed sense of responsibility from each of us to recover what John F. Kennedy called our "intellectual and moral strength." Yes, government must lead on energy independence, but each of us must do our part to make our homes and businesses more efficient. Yes, we must provide more ladders to success for young men who fall into lives of crime and despair. But we must also admit that programs alone can't replace parents; that government can't turn off the television and make a child do her homework; that fathers must take more responsibility for providing the love and guidance their children need.

Individual responsibility and mutual responsibility - that's the essence of America's promise.

Jesse Jackson is sharpening his dissecting tools as we speak.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Party's over Tom. And I know this because when the speech ended, my grand mom (who is a racist) called me and said I have to vote for him. He is what this country needs. The best part is I never tried to get her to vote for him Obama got her vote all by himself!!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:34 AM
    No one listens to Jesse Jackson anymore.

Can't wait for the Repubs convention, but I hear they may be "delaying" the GOP convention... in St Paul... due to a possible hurricane in the GULF. ROFL!! In other words, they can't compete with this, and need to circle their wagons. Good luck boys! Har-har.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Hello again:

He said an awful lot of things that should warm the cockles of conservatives hearts (if they HAD hearts). He talked about personal responsibility (not the nanny state). He talked about supporting the 2nd Amendment (prog - are you listening?). He talked about preventing unwanted pregnancy. He talked about nuclear energy.

These are ALL conservative talking points. Took the wind right out of their sails.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Can't wait for the Repubs convention, but I hear they may be "delaying" the GOP convention... in St Paul... due to a possible hurricane in the GULF. ROFL!!
    Do you blame them ? Imagine the image of Republicans partying as the Gulf Coast is being blasted with another Cat 3 hurricane. The Dems could get away with it but not the Repubs.

Ex I don't believe him for one minute when he said he would consider nuclear energy. But I do believe him when he said he wanted to invest billions of dollars on windfrastructure(wind and solar).
    As president, I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. What does that mean "safely harness"?? Already nuclear power is the cleanest ,safest and most environmentally sound energy resource we have . Nuclear power has already been harnessed and is waiting for us to use .

I don't believe him when he says he will go over the budget line by line and reduce the size of the government.(Nor do I believe his party will let him) But I do believe him when he said that he will expand one program after another. I don't believe him when he said that he will cut taxes to 95% of the people (Clinton made the same promise and broke it in the opening months of his Presidency ).But I do believe him when he demonized business and talked of punitive taxation on them.

I do believe him when he said he thought that fathers should take responsibility for their families and that is why I posted his quote about it.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Hey! There are so many uneducated voters out there today and that is scary. They hear what they want to hear, and then their minds are made up. Obama is a great one at giving speaches isn't he? Anybody can say one thing and do the exact opposite. The one thing that I hate, is that he is anti-war and against guns for citizens. I think the crime rate would go way up. Do you really think that if you took our guns away that people still couldn't get guns from smuggling them into our country. I don't like going into war, but that's why we are number 1 in the world, we aren't a bunch of scared babies afraid to take and stand up for what we believe in and what we want. I also love my guns, and don't want to lose them or the right to carry them for personal protection. I hate that Obama won't even place his hand over his heart and face the flag and say " I pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America!" I don't think that is right at all. I am sorry for my long speech, but feel free to comment me good or bad! Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Hello adam:

You are welcome to your comments. They just happen to be UNINFORMED comments.

Couple things. He's not anti-war. He's anti the WRONG war. He wants to put MORE troops into Afghanistan. That's not anti-war.

Your guns are safe, unless you're a criminal or you want to own an automatic weapon. There is NOTHING on the table from Obama about taking your guns away.

Last is your belief that Obama doesn't face the flag and put his hand over his heart. You're just flat out WRONG on that note. You shouldn't believe every email you receive. Do some checking yourself. We have PICTURES of him here, on this website, doing exactly what you say he doesn't do.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:21 AM
    excon is right . There are plenty of reasons to oppose Obama without relying on fabricated ones.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Adam why do you have to put your hand over your heart for the pledge? Do the words not mean the same thing if your hands are in your pockets or crossed in front of you? Does putting your hand over your heart mean the words mean more to you?

Also Here is what he said last night about guns.

"The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals."

Just wants to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals and you don't strike me as a gang member so I think you are safe.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Well, thank you guys for everything. I told you there were un-educated voters out there. Haha. I am uninformed on a few things, but I just keep hearing the same things over and over again, and I am putting it out there. Which is bad, so lets hear some good things about Obama shall we? I would like to know what good he has to offer. It may not change my vote, and I may not even vote because I'm not that big of a fan of McCain either.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Adam here you go. It's a bit long but it really shows how Barack works for people.

Early Years

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii on August 4th, 1961. His father, Barack Obama Sr. was born and raised in a small village in Kenya, where he grew up herding goats with his own father, who was a domestic servant to the British.

Barack's mother, Ann Dunham, grew up in small-town Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs during the Depression, and then signed up for World War II after Pearl Harbor, where he marched across Europe in Patton's army. Her mother went to work on a bomber assembly line, and after the war, they studied on the G.I. Bill, bought a house through the Federal Housing Program, and moved west to Hawaii.

It was there, at the University of Hawaii, where Barack's parents met. His mother was a student there, and his father had won a scholarship that allowed him to leave Kenya and pursue his dreams in America.

Barack's father eventually returned to Kenya, and Barack grew up with his mother in Hawaii, and for a few years in Indonesia. Later, he moved to New York, where he graduated from Columbia University in 1983.

The College Years

Remembering the values of empathy and service that his mother taught him, Barack put law school and corporate life on hold after college and moved to Chicago in 1985, where he became a community organizer with a church-based group seeking to improve living conditions in poor neighborhoods plagued with crime and high unemployment.

The group had some success, but Barack had come to realize that in order to truly improve the lives of people in that community and other communities, it would take not just a change at the local level, but a change in our laws and in our politics.

He went on to earn his law degree from Harvard in 1991, where he became the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. Soon after, he returned to Chicago to practice as a civil rights lawyer and teach constitutional law. Finally, his advocacy work led him to run for the Illinois State Senate, where he served for eight years. In 2004, he became the third African American since Reconstruction to be elected to the U.S. Senate.

Political Career

It has been the rich and varied experiences of Barack Obama's life - growing up in different places with people who had differing ideas - that have animated his political journey. Amid the partisanship and bickering of today's public debate, he still believes in the ability to unite people around a politics of purpose - a politics that puts solving the challenges of everyday Americans ahead of partisan calculation and political gain.

In the Illinois State Senate, this meant working with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state. He also pushed through an expansion of early childhood education, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, Senator Obama worked with law enforcement officials to require the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases.

In the U.S. Senate, he has focused on tackling the challenges of a globalized, 21st century world with fresh thinking and a politics that no longer settles for the lowest common denominator. His first law was passed with Republican Tom Coburn, a measure to rebuild trust in government by allowing every American to go online and see how and where every dime of their tax dollars is spent. He has also been the lead voice in championing ethics reform that would root out Jack Abramoff-style corruption in Congress.

As a member of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, Senator Obama has fought to help Illinois veterans get the disability pay they were promised, while working to prepare the VA for the return of the thousands of veterans who will need care after Iraq and Afghanistan. Recognizing the terrorist threat posed by weapons of mass destruction, he traveled to Russia with Republican Lugar to begin a new generation of non-proliferation efforts designed to find and secure deadly weapons around the world. And knowing the threat we face to our economy and our security from America's addiction to oil, he's working to bring auto companies, unions, farmers, businesses and politicians of both parties together to promote the greater use of alternative fuels and higher fuel standards in our cars.

Whether it's the poverty exposed by Katrina, the genocide in Darfur, or the role of faith in our politics, Barack Obama continues to speak out on the issues that will define America in the 21st century. But above all his accomplishments and experiences, he is most proud and grateful for his family.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Adam

If you like guns you'll love McCain's VP pick... Alaska Guv. Sarah Palin.

She's a lifetime NRA member who claims to be a competent shooter. Sarah Palin on Gun Control
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Hello adam:

For one, he's going to end the BAD war and try to win the GOOD war. That's a pretty BIG deal.

There's a lot more. If you read many of the threads right here, we've discussed him pretty thoroughly.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
    His father, Barack Obama Sr. was born and raised in a small village in Kenya, where he grew up herding goats with his own father, who was a domestic servant to the British.
    His father was a Harvard educated Marxist who was kicked out of the Kenyan government .

Remembering the values of empathy and service that his mother taught him, Barack put law school and corporate life on hold after college and moved to Chicago in 1985, where he became a community organizer with a church-based group seeking to improve living conditions in poor neighborhoods plagued with crime and high unemployment.

The group had some success, but Barack had come to realize that in order to truly improve the lives of people in that community and other communities, it would take not just a change at the local level, but a change in our laws and in our politics.

He went on to earn his law degree from Harvard in 1991, where he became the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. Soon after, he returned to Chicago to practice as a civil rights lawyer and teach constitutional law. Finally, his advocacy work led him to run for the Illinois State Senate, where he served for eight years. In 2004, he became the third African American since Reconstruction to be elected to the U.S. Senate.
    Most of this is true . But it doesn't describe what "community organizing " is . To find out you have to read Saul Alinsky's 1971 book, “Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals.”
    His activities in Chi-town eventually led him to his political and spiritual mentors ;former Weather underground terrorists William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn ;Rev. William Wright .He was hand picked successor of left wing radical Ill. Senator Alice Palmer .She and Obama eventually had a falling out.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Tom,
    We are trying to have a positive thread here about a candidate. Feel free to start your own positive thread about your candidate... if you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can Obama legally be president? [ 40 Answers ]

This came in as an email. Is there a constitutional lawyer out there who can tell us if the law quoted below is authentic or not? CAN OBAMA LEGALLY BE PRESIDENT? It seems that Barack Obama is not qualified to be president after all for the following reason: Barack Obama is not legally a...

The next president Obama [ 8 Answers ]

Hey guys what do you think about Obama being the next president? Do you think he's the Anti Christ? The Bible does talk about Israel being wiped of the map! :eek:

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

View more questions Search