Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theresa44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Hi my name is theresa I want to know if I want to see some land in SC I want to know if I have to take my husbands name off the deed in order to sell it he is decease.

Will I need a lawyer to sell this land I have a buyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2008, 06:41 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

If he is deceased, the executor of his estate has to transfer the property to your name. Unless you were listed as joint tenants with right of survivorship. In that case, you can just take a copy of the death certificate to the county clerk to reregsiter the deed.

Its always best to have a lawyer represent you in such transactions.
    theresa44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:42 PM
    So you say I have to remove my husband, now I need to know do I have to have a lawyer. I have a buyer for the land he says I need a lawyer and if I do can someone suggest one in my area which is Hampton Va.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2008, 05:29 AM
    How was the property listed? Was it solely in your husband's name or as joint tenants? Like I said, its always advisable to have legal representation in a property sale.

You may not need to transfer the property to your name. Your husband's estate can sell the property directly. But if it was not probated, all the more reason to get a lawyer to handle things.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:00 AM
    I would recommend contacting a local title company. Tell them what you want to do, the basic situation, and ask them how much they would charge to handle the sale. They will tell you if there are issues with your husband being on the deed that they can't handle, and can probably recommend an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove someone from the deed? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought some property with my money and with the loan in my name several years ago. I had my sister move in with the idea that she could help me with the mortgage and she could help herself out of wasting money on rent. Our initial plan was to fix up the property and if we decide to sell, I...

Remove name off deed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about removing my name off a deed of a house - I no longer live in? The house is not in my name - but my name is on the deed.

Remove a name from the deed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My sister & I bought a house together, but the mortgage company made an mistake not to put my name on the mortgage. The lawyer didn't tell us until the day of the closing and he told us that he would do a quitdeed(?) to put my name on the deed. Now I would like to remove my sister from...

Need to remove a name and add my name to house title, deed, etc. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, currently my brother and father's name are on a house deed, title, etc. My father passed away so we would need to remove his name from the house and my brother would like to add my name to the house. The house is paid for and carries no mortgage (if that matters). We live in...

Remove name from deed [ 1 Answers ]

I own a house with a partner, we are not married. I need to move to another state and take my name off the deed to the house. WE would like to do this without getting the house refinanced or going through a bank. Is there anyway to transfer ownership to another person in place of myself.

View more questions Search