Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calviny55 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Overseas Cash Gift for Escrow? Tax implications?
    If I (US citizen) am receiving a cash gift from a non US resident/citizen, the transfer is made in foreign bank account to my foreign bank account. Then I use that amount as downpayment on a house, sent directly from my foreign bank account to the escrow company. Is there any tax complications? Do I need to file anything w/ the IRS? Such as the form 3520?
    Any caveats?
    Thanks in advance
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 07:06 PM
    If you are a US citizen and you are receiving a cash gift from a non US resident/citizen and the amount is more than $100,000, then you must report the receipt of the gift on Form 3520, regardless of where the cash is subsequently transferred.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
    In the U.S. there is no tax on the gifts received. However, since the money is coming from foreign source, the IRS wants to make sure that it is a gift so you need to file Form 3520.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax
    calviny55 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Thank you both of you for chiming in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Money Transfer/Gift [ 50 Answers ]

I am employed in the US but not a US citizen. My mother, who is not a US citizen either and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from her account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is between US $50K - $100K, what would be my IRS Tax...

UK gift to US Citzen tax implications [ 2 Answers ]

I am UK resident/citizen and wish to gift a US resident, a large cash gift as part of an early inheritance on my estate before I die - will the US resident be liable for tax on this in the states as it is a gift from the UK? Thanks

Moving Overseas - 401k Cash out vs early retirement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be moving abroad within the next year. I currently own a house which I will be selling. Before I can sell this house, I need to make some much needed repairs, i.e. a new roof and fix a sagging bathroom floor. I want to cash out of my 401k plan to get the money to make the...

View more questions Search