Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdcromer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
    5 day pay or quit notice
    My boyfriend and I just got served with a 5 day pay or quit notice in Virginia because we had not paid rent. There was a delay in getting my refund check from school and was not able to pay it. We didn't sign a lease or anything stating the terms. We immediately moved out. Now I am being served with a warrant to show up in court to pay. The landlord is definitely charging us more than we owe. We should owe no more than $2000 but the warrant says $3260. Should I just wait and go to court and see what happens? I figured the worst that could happen would be we would have to pay so it might be worth at least going to fight it. Would not having a written agreement such as a lease help us in court? What should I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcromer
    My boyfriend and I just got served with a 5 day pay or quit notice in Virginia because we had not paid rent. There was a delay in getting my refund check from school and was not able to pay it. We didn't sign a lease or anything stating the terms. We immediately moved out. Now I am being served with a warrent to show up in court to pay. The landlord is definitely charging us more than we owe. We should owe no more than $2000 but the warrent says $3260. Should I just wait and go to court and see what happens? I figured the worst that could happen would be we would have to pay so it might be worth at least going to fight it. Would not having a written agreement such as a lease help us in court? What should I do?

The papers should indicate a breakdown of what they are charging you for -

You owe until - minimally - the last day of the month you moved out plus 30 days.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
    You are responsible for back rent and a another months rent if you were a month to month lease. 30 days notice is standard when there is no written lease. You have no real choice regarding showing up in court if you were served a warrant. If you are broke ask about a public defender but I would not go to court on your own.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Is this in small claims?

If so, you can represent yourself and won't need an attorney.

About all you can do is show up, present your defense, and let the judge rule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

What do I do next after the 3 day notice or quit is sent [ 2 Answers ]

Some please explain the eviction process in CA

3 day pay or quit notice given, what happens next? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been an exceptional tenant for the past 3years at my apartment. In the last 5months, I had a baby and have been slowly falling behind in rent. My rent is $1300, and I have been paying about $1100. I have communicated with the landlord each month, and according to him, everything is...

Notice to quit? [ 7 Answers ]

If a landlord serves you a notice to quit, is this considered a breach of the contract (lease)? :confused:

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

View more questions Search