Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamaskingyou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Who do I call?
    I am trying to begin investing, reading lots of advice and articles, even bought a couple books on the subject.. the problem is I fall asleep halfway through.

Investing is very.. very boring to me. However, I understand the importance of it so I am trying to start. I have a couple thousand dollars saved, am in my mid 30s, and want to be safe with my money but aggressive with some of it as well.

Where do I go? Who do I talk to? I keep hearing 'index funds'.. OK, who do I talk to about that? How do I know this person is qualified and isn't going to take advantage of my ignorance?

Any opinions on E-Trade? Another name I keep hearing..

What I would like to do is to just be able to hand my money over to someone trustworthy and far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be on this subject and know that it is in good hands. What do you do? Who do you trust?

Thanks,
    Zzzz
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Good idea is a financial advisor at your local bank branch.
    SWY0104 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2008, 01:39 PM

I find medical books boring, so I go to a doctor for medical advice. I could probably do surgery on myself if you tell me how... I'm pretty smart... but I figure someone else can do it quicker, easier, better, and probably with fewer mistakes. So I find a doctor when I need surgery. Sometimes, I don't like the first one I see... so I go see a different one until I'm comfortable that I am putting my care in hands I trust. Finding the right financial adviser is much like this and equally important. They're all over in your community, you just have to find the one that you are most comfortable with and then trust his or her advice!
    LicensedAdvisor Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 21, 2008, 05:52 AM
    I agree w/ Tickle... I have been a Broker in a large Wirehouse, as well as am now a Financial Advisor over numerous bank branches throughout the Midwest, and I would agree that your best bet would be to talk to the local Financial Professional at the bank. The problem w/ the Wirehouse, is that "good" advise will most likely cost you, and you are not going to get their top advisor unless you plan to open a $500K account or more, so oyu will most likely be pawned off to a rookie... (I know; I was the pawnee rookie). Also, E-trade, Ameritrade, Scottrade, etc. are all good bets for making trades, but realize that these are trading desks, and they will not have your best personal interests in mind. They get paid by the trade; not the quality of your investments. And lastly, remember, w/ the turmoil in the banks as of now, you do not have to have an account at a certain bank to open an investment account most of the time. 90% of my clients are not bank customers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do think she will call again [ 2 Answers ]

Do u really think she will call again

Should I call CPS? [ 20 Answers ]

I do have a question, when I saw my daughter today she had a pretty bad bruise on her temple right next to her eye, and a partial black eye. She said that her mom hit her with her elbow, I know that the child ask for me all the time. And her mother is not well mentally. Does anyone think that I...

When to call it off. [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating now for about six months, and, for the past five months our intimacy has been decreasing... now its practically nil. I'm not out of shape, and he tells me how attractive he finds me and takes me out with his friends, even going so far as to encourage me to dress...

View more questions Search