Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jludwig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Dads going to Jail, mother lives in another state.what about the children
    Hi I live in Alaska and Im trying to figure out the laws of child custody for my brother in law. He has 3 children aged 12, 14, 15. He has taken care of these children all there lives as a single dad. There is no court order for child custody. There mother just gave up and really hasn't had anything to do with them ever. She calls once in awhile to talk with them however, when she does call the children cry or become confused because she tells them weird things like the youngest on isn't even my brother in laws etc. She is suppose to pay child support but won't get a job to do so as she abuses drugs and is well, an unfit mother. My brother in law made a bad choise by drinking and driving and now he is looking at 8 months jail time. Alaska laws are harsh on this for a good reason. He has a live in girlfriend/fiance' whom is willing to care for these children while he is away however, we are concerned that there mother whom lives in another state (Oregon) may decided to come to Alaska and take the children. They do not want to go live with there mom, they barely know her. We have tried to get him to sign paperwork so his girlfriend or my husband (his brother) can have temporary custody. All I know is those children are better off here with us and the girlfriend then down in Oregon with a bad mother. Are the children old enough to make this decision? Should we really worry, because of jurisdiction? There is so much going on and I am trying to get as much awnsers as possible. Thank you
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
    The only way you could be safe from the children going to the "real" mother is if you have her sign over her rights. Or you can show that she is an unfit mother. As this is a sore subject, having her sign over rights or her not getting any rights, the girlfriend is still not guaranteed a spot on the list of people the kids should be with. Have you thought about keeping quiet until she says anything, letting the kids reside with the Girlfriend until you need to make a move? I am not sure that is the way to go, but if I were in your shoes, that is exactly what I would do. I would just go about my business until someone stirred the pot! Good luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
    I don't know Alaska law but I would have thought that the courts would have made a determination regarding the children. They would not take a sole supporting parent into custody or jail and leav the kinds on the street. Did they not make the children wards of the court?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I don't think there is a legal age concerning choice of parent,it's more down to whether the parent is a fit mother or father and is capable of caring for the child 24/7.the mother quite obviously isn't.

To be on the safe side you could seek legal advise,get it sorted out once and for all, or you could just carry on as usual and hope no one causes trouble.

Is there a chance that a prison scentence may not happen ? The fact that he has 3 children to care for could someone speak up in their favor, it may do some good, it's worth a shot.

Maybe the fiancée could be made temporary guardian for the children in the father absence.

There are quite a lot of if's and maybe's here, so I think for peace of mind you really need some legal advice, just to be sure you know exactly where you stand

Goodluck
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:45 PM
    I really think the best thing to do would be get a lawyer. Those kids will be able to speak (in most cases) in court when the time comes. I really doubt they will move children that age to Oregon just to be with a drug abused mother, if they do then a lawyer will help you fight that!
    jludwig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I don't know Alaska law but I would have thought that the courts would have made a determination regarding the children. They would not take a sole supporting parent into custody or jail and leav the kinds on the street. Did they not make the children wards of the court?
    Exactly what I was thinking. I keep wondering that. My brother in law is a quiet man tries to keep his things under wrap, I don't even know if the courts know he has 3 children. Ok well I am going to go ask questions and find this out. Thank you
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:57 PM
    The more you know the more we can help. ;)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Who defended him, ask that person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
    The issue here is, it sounds if you stated the entire story, that there was never a custody order in place, so he and she are still on the birth certficiate. *** but at the child support hearing, custody was not granted?

But if there is no custody order, yes she can go to the door, and demand the children if he is in jail. Nothing short of a court order can stop that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 04:50 PM
    He needs to do something now before he is incarcerated. He can have an attorney draw up guardianship paperwork for his g/f to be their guardian while he's in jail to keep the children in Alaska in their home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father paying child support to mother when daughter lives with dad's grandparents [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I don't know what to do he has a 15 year old daughter who lives with my husband's parents, she been living with them since 1994 when child services gave temporary custody to my husbands mom until the mom felt ready to get custody back. My husband didn't have the custody because he...

Is it legal for a mother to claim taxes when child lives with father [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine has had custody of his son for two years and each tax year he tries to claim son it says the mother already has. How does he fix this and can he get refunded?

Claiming children who lives in the philippines as dependents? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to claim my 2 kids as dependents even if they are currently living in the philippines. They haven't been in the states yet and there was no plan for them to come here anytime soon. But I'm sure I can get them an ITIN since they already have visas. They live...

Aggravated stalker lives in my dads rental [ 4 Answers ]

A guy plead guilty to aggravated felony stalking against me.. he lives in my dad's rental. Terms of lease state not to exceed 12 months from nov15,2006-november15 2007 then month to month A letter of nonrenewal intent was sent by the landlord sept1 but not receivedby the tenant until October 1 is...

View more questions Search