Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattymelt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Sprinkler system flucuating water pressure
    Sprinkler man says possible crack in drop pipe in pump head. Does this sound logical?
    The sprinkler had not been turned on for a year. It works fine for a couple of minutes and then the spray becomes less and then it becomes strong again. This flucuation just continues.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:23 PM
    What's the readings on tank pressure gauge while this is happening. Sounds like you turn sprinkler on, water in tank is used and pressure drops until pump comes on. Pump comes on and provide water to sprinlers and builds pressure in tank until pump turns off. Cycle starts over again. The pump cut-in pressure is probably less than the pressure required to make the sprinklers work.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 28, 2008, 03:49 PM
    It actually could be either what the repairman said or what Harold suggested. Look at the pressure first. Also, you should check the air pressure in the bladder tank and make sure it is correct with the pump pressure switch setting.

Ideally, you should have enough sprinklers on a zone to keep your pump running constantly while you're irrigating. But, you don't want so many that it doesn't provide enough water to your heads.

The repairman may have been right too. If there are leaks in the suction pipe, it could have a hard time pulling up water. Then, it is able to pull up enough to prime the pump fully, then dies out again if it gets too much air.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water from a sprinkler system [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings yawl, The place we are renting has a below ground sprinkler system. The system is controlled by a Hunter SRC i901 (inside) control panel. For grins, my wife thought that I was enjoying too much football instead of being busy with stuff. Any way, she was curious to know if I could...

Well pump flucuating pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I Have A Problem With A Well Pump Surging.the Gauge At The Tank Stays In The Range 30/50psi But Water At The Fausits Are Surging High Then Low Then Nothing.is This An Air Pressure Problem In The Tank?if So How Do I Fix It? Sincerely, Bill

How do I diagnose a loss of pressure in shallow well sprinkler system? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shallow well sprinkler system with 5 zones. The system worked fine when I bought my house 3 years Ago but now the system barely generates enough Pressure to cause water to come out of the sprinkler Heads. The problem seemed to happen gradually. I first Noticed low pressure in the zone...

No pressure sprinkler system. [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had a sprinkler system installed. We have a well. According to the sprinkler guy, our lack of pressure is not his problem. Is there a way to boost the pressure in the system?

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search