Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxLobo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
    The rest of the driveway is Dark Black while the spot is a charcoal grey.. its about 50 to 100 Sq ft. Seal Coat would be darker than the rest of his driveway, we put some down to check the colors with him.

No it really is 12000 SQ ft, its huge.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Well, at this point, I don't know what I'd do if I were you.

Is there no other detergent or oil or something that can be applied to that area to even out the stain? What about some of the original asphalt material minus the rocks? Or would that be the same as the seal coat?

I'm surprised that powerwashing a new asphalt surface didn't tear it up.

I can tell you that when we get a new seal coat it looks really dark for maybe a couple of months, then it "fades" and starts to look more charcoal in color. Maybe you could propose to the guy to do the patch and then see how it looks in a couple of months - maybe 90 days. Of course it's going to look different the day it's done, but it seems fair to give it a little time. Then perhaps he'd forget about it.

Do you know this guy? Do you think he'd sue you, or is he just trying to bully you?

Well, please keep us posted.

Aug 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy
    Well, at this point, I don't know what I'd do if I were you.

Is there no other detergent or oil or something that can be applied to that area to even out the stain? What about some of the original asphalt material minus the rocks? Or would that be the same as the seal coat?

I'm surprised that powerwashing a new asphalt surface didn't tear it up.

I can tell you that when we get a new seal coat it looks really dark for maybe a couple of months, then it "fades" and starts to look more charcoal in color. Maybe you could propose to the guy to do the patch and then see how it looks in a couple of months - maybe 90 days. Of course it's going to look different the day it's done, but it seems fair to give it a little time. Then perhaps he'd forget about it.

Do you know this guy? Do you think he'd sue you, or is he just trying to bully you?

Well, please keep us posted.
    The contractor said that in 90 days the whole drive way would look basically the same any way and he thinks it's a waste of money if done for cosmetic purposes. The washing down around the stain just accelerated the aging process. The only way we would know for sure is to wait another 2 1/2 months. :)

Right now he has really been bullying my branch manager, calling him daily about this issue. Threatening to call the motor club and his attorney etc etc

Our offer is probably going to be either:

1) Seal Coat the existing stain area only.
    2) Offer a $300 good will gesture towards him having the whole surface seal coated in 3 months.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
    You know sometimes a bully just needs to be taken down a notch. I'd make your offer #1 and if he rejects it it may be time to see if he really want to go to court. That's just me but a bully needs to be stpped once in awhile. Did you mention my idea of splitting the cost of a total seal coat, what did he say? I'd make these offers in writing and not on the phone. Save everything you sent or receive.

Aug 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
    We have not approached him with any offer yet, just gathering information. That discussion with the home owner will occur tomorrow.

The contractor is actually on our side on this issue, his comment was "its a driveway for heavens sake". He had many problems with this home owner when he put down the asphalt to begin with last month. Yes it looks more like a parking lot.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I agree. I don't think he stands a ghost of a chance in court, especially if the contractor will testify. So if I were your manager I'd simply respond that your firm has tried to be fair and reasonable. If he finds your offer unacceptable, he can take it to court and that you are confident a court will uphold your offer.

Since he apparently won't accept anything less that a new driveway, you really don't lose anything.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
    You might also have the manager explain that if he wants to go to court all previous offers are withdrawn. The court may say you've ben bullied enough and make no order to pay anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
    I will assume you are in the power wash business?

As a person who helps train power wash employees, can I assume you did the following standard business procedures?

1. notify the customer that oil stains will not be completely removed but only lightened.

2. inform the customer that a power washer may also even do some damage such lines and groves in the driveway material.

3. And I would also assume if you are in the pressure washer business doing oil off drive ways you are using the proper equipment such as a flat surface cleaner for a even wash, and hot water to clean the oils as much as possible.

But of course you can sealcoat it, for the standard cost, which should always be a option you price them before you clean.

And of course all of this including the warnings and notice should be in writing prior to starting work and signed by customer.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 02:43 PM
    After all the discussion about this... I was just curious if any agreement was reached?

Sep 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
    The customer finally returned my call today. I offered up the two solutions

1) seal coat the area affected
    2) $300 toward seal coating his entire drive way when he is ready to do it (I faxed him the quotes we had received so far).

Any way, he is leaning towards 2) but wants to think about it a day or two. His comment was he could tell that I had done a lot of work and realized that most operators would not have gone to that much trouble.

I will let you know when he calls back again with the resolution.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 11, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Without any treatment an asphalt driveway life is approx 7 to 12 years (we were told 10) but with treatment it is 15 to 20 years. I think both numbers might be a little low but the relationship is consistent
    I contract for the Ministry of trasportation doing ashphalt repairs on major hyw's.In ontario canada the life expectancy of pavement on major hw'ys is 15 years,that with heavy traffic.This is a drive way,should last a hundered years in my opion,lol.My driveway at home was paved in the 60's and has never been treated and is still in great shape ;).I think hes being a little unreasonable.Go buy the sealent your self,its costs 12 bucks for airport quilaty sealent,you mite need 4 pail's,under 50 bucks for the job,,good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stain removel [ 10 Answers ]

What's the best stain remover to get baby food stains from my baby's clothes that I could buy in the uk? Thanks

Help on velvet stain? [ 1 Answers ]

A stain has appeared on my newly recovered grey velvet chair. About two inches long and half an inch wide, it looks as those some pale sticky substance has stuck to and flattened the pile. I made it worse by trying to wipe with warm water. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Stain removal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have spilt some paint on floor and kitchen cabinets while painting on walls.Could you please suggest me how to remove those paint spots. Thanks

Stain removal [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove candle wax from cloth?

View more questions Search