Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnalbundy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Unflushable Commode
    This has been an ongoing problem for months now. We have had the Roto Rooter servicemen come to our house and run the tubing through the septic line (we are on a sewer line). The commode acts as if it is going to run over, but when we plunge it, it will make a gurgling sound and within a few minutes the water will reside, but will not flush. Im wondering if this has something to do with the seal. We have actually taken the commode of the floor and taken it outside to run water through it, nothing. What is the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    A gurgling toilet says to me that your vent stack is blocked. Roto should have caught that though, did they check your vent?/ Which is it "septic line (we are on a sewer line" you aren't on both. Here is a tes but you already missed your easy chnace at doing it. Set the toilet a saw horses, fill the bowl and the tank, then flush. If it flushes fine you darin is the issue. It has nothing to do with the seal unless your wax ring was so thick that it guished over the edge and partially blocked the drain pipe, you would have noticed this when you removed the toilet plus you put in a new wax ring I'm sure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whistling commode [ 1 Answers ]

I have two commodes that have an obnoxious whistle when the tank fills after flushing. How can I get rid of the whistle? Thanks.

Do I need a new commode? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, This is my first visit to your site! I have a flushing problem that is driving me up a wall! When the commode is flushed, the bowl fills to just short of overflowing. The water swirls around and then slowly drains down. Plunging didn’t do anything. The little vent is...

Commode plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have carpet in my bathroom. I want to have it removed and replaced with 1/4" ceramic tile. The commode will have to be removed and the tile will be installed around the commode drain. The commode will then have to sit on the tile whereas now it sits on the concrete slab. Is there an extension...

Bubbling commode [ 1 Answers ]

When I drain the bathtub or the dishwasher, the commode bubbles. Today, the commode was very slow to flush. Does this mean that I need to have the septic tank pumped, or call a plumber to look for some other problem?

Commode [ 1 Answers ]

When the commode is filling with water, it bubbles several times. What causes this? Is there a fix?

View more questions Search