Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kstark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Abandoning laws in Illinois
    My boyfriend has raised my son since he was an infant. My son's biological father has chosen to not take part in his life. The weird part of this situation is that my son's father's parents pay his child support every month. I live in the state of Illinois and was wondering if my son's father is still considered to be abandoning my son? And what that law states.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
    No-if he pays child support.
    Family Law Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Child Abandonment.

(a) A person commits the offense of child abandonment when he or she, as a parent, guardian, or other person having physical custody or control of a child, without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that child, knowingly leaves that child who is under the age of 13 without supervision by a responsible person over the age of 14 for a period of 24 hours or more, except that a person does not commit the offense of child abandonment when he or she relinquishes a child in accordance with the Abandoned Newborn Infant Protection Act.
    Family Law Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
    b) For the purposes of determining whether the child was left without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that child, the trier of fact shall consider the following factors:

(1) the age of the child;

(2) the number of children left at the location;

(3) special needs of the child, including whether

The child is physically or mentally handicapped, or otherwise in need of ongoing prescribed medical treatment such as periodic doses of insulin or other medications;

(4) the duration of time in which the child was left

Without supervision;

(5) the condition and location of the place where

The child was left without supervision;

(6) the time of day or night when the child was left

Without supervision;

(7) the weather conditions, including whether the

Child was left in a location with adequate protection from the natural elements such as adequate heat or light;

(8) the location of the parent, guardian, or other

Person having physical custody or control of the child at the time the child was left without supervision, the physical distance the child was from the parent, guardian, or other person having physical custody or control of the child at the time the child was without supervision;

(9) whether the child's movement was restricted, or

The child was otherwise locked within a room or other structure;

(10) whether the child was given a phone number of a

Person or location to call in the event of an emergency and whether the child was capable of making an emergency call;

(11) whether there was food and other provision left

For the child;

(12) whether any of the conduct is attributable to

Economic hardship or illness and the parent, guardian or other person having physical custody or control of the child made a good faith effort to provide for the health and safety of the child;

(13) the age and physical and mental capabilities of

The person or persons who provided supervision for the child;

(14) any other factor that would endanger the health

Or safety of that particular child;

(15) whether the child was left under the

Supervision of another person.

(d) Child abandonment is a Class 4 felony. A second or subsequent offense after a prior conviction is a Class 3 felony.

(Source: P.A. 92-408, eff. 8-17-01; 92-432, eff. 8-17-01.)
    Family Law Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 12:16 PM
    That's Illinois law about Child Abandonment.I cannot see an abandonment case here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

Laws on vehicle repossession in Illinois. [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin had her car repossessed April 18th of 2007 (she is going through a divorce and is having financial problems of a result. The bank still hasn't sent a notice through the mail as to when the car will be resold (which from what I understand the bank legally has to do that, along with the...

Adverse Possession laws in Illinois [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently bought some property across from our home in Illinois. My neighbors want to try to claim squatters rights against it. It is 1/2 acre that is next to their land. They have been mowing it for several years, along with storing hay and a couple horse trailers on it...

Illinois Labor Laws [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have kind of a silly question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I work for a Union in the city of Chicago. Our rights and laws are very spicific. My wife (on the other hand) works at a local hospital. I can't seem to find the law that tells us about breaks during an 8 hour...

Abandoning your children [ 4 Answers ]

My husband left to work in California. We live in the state of Washington. He decided without discussing it with his 2 sons or I that he was going to just stay in California. Is there any course of action that I can take as far as the children are concerned. I have let them go visit him but it...

View more questions Search