Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunnyfl12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
    How does death affect mortgage/foreclosure
    I am a single female with an existing mortgage. If I die before my house can be sold does it automatically revert to the lender? If so, how long after death does the house need to be emptied by my relatives? I live in Florida.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Would there be heirs if you pass?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Do you not have a will? If you don't, I would assume it goes into your estate, which is then used to pay outstanding bills, etc... and without a will, your realatives really would not have any right to go in and take stuff.. since its no theirs.

(this is just a guess... I'm not an expert at this)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 11:48 AM
    If there are surviving relatives they would likely qualify as heirs, it would have to go through probate court to weed things out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens to mortgage with death? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm preparing to start the selling process of my dad's estate. He quit-claimed it to me, which I found out upon his death. I didn't know what else to do (being 21 and scared) so I just paid the monthly mortgage bill and insured it under my name. Now that I want to sell, I HAVE to go to the bank...

Affect of Foreclosure on credit [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a new home and have been trying to sell my old home 2 years. I have tried renting it, but the renters don't pay and I have had to spend money in court evicting them. It is getting to the point where it will be difficult for me to pay for both houses. Should I just let the house...

How foreclosure vs bankruptcy affect a joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, We are in a peculiar situation, hoping that we could get some advise. Situation: over 12 yrs ago my wife had some savings (approx $7k) and opened an account with vanguard. On advise of her parents, the account was opened as a joint account with her brother, so if anything would...

Will foreclosure affect other properties I own? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 properties. One is in the process of foreclosure. I would like to know how will this affect my other property. The second house is being rented and it is up to date on mortgage payments. Thank you.

Foreclosure process and affect on credit [ 1 Answers ]

I am current on my mortgage payments however, my supportive income has been lost due to our separation. We were not married and his name was not on my home loan. I have attempted to sell the house in the past with no luck. I'm raising my children alone and it will be a true struggle to make the...

View more questions Search