Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Installing outlets on pegboard
    Just built a workbench in my garage and I want to install pegboard over the entire length of bench. I have one outlet on that side of the garage which is over the bottom shelf of the bench. I already fished the wire so it is above the top part of the bench. If I wanted receptacles the entire length of the bench; how would I go about doing that? Wouldn't be so hard but the garage is finished. I guess I could use some type of wiremold to attach along the pegboard but I want to limit the amount of wasted pegboard holes.

As you can see the receptacle is on the right side of the pic.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Here is what I did in my shop which looks just like yours. I took 2 pieces of 1x4 and made a L shaped connection that was as long as the bench. I thencut holes in one piece every so mnay feet to install my boxes and receptacles. Then I attached the L shaped length to the bench top right up againist the pegboard make s small 4" tall shelf box. My wiring is all inside this little shelf box and removing a few wood screws lets me take the entire thing out for repair.

Aug 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
    That's a good idea. Got a pic handy? I wanted the outlets a little higher off the bench but that may be my only option since I'm working with a finished garage. What type of electrical boxes did you use?

Aug 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
    just used standard 2x4 blue plastic boxes with 14/2 wire. You could make your shelf box out of a 1x4 and a 1x6, 1x8 or really any dimension. Sorry no pics, computer ussue too numerous to explain.

Aug 28, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Ok, got it. I think I will stick with the 1x4 to minimize the amount of space taken up;if I went that route. Thanks.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 28, 2008, 11:23 AM
    You know what, I wrote these long instructions on how you can do this three different ways, but decided to erase it. The easiest way, is to run plug mold, and plug them into the exsiting receptacle outlet just above the bench. I don't see the mold taking up space on the pegboard--if it's ran close to the bottom. See picture below:
    Attached Images

Aug 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Also, there is nothing stoping you from installing a central point (Power strip) under the bench, so you can plug in your plug mold. "The Power strip will plug into the receptacle outlet just above the bench."

There is more than one way of doing this!

What Ballenger posted will work as well. Yet, I would like to see the setup before I can say it's code complaint. ;)

Aug 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
    Wow,

ducsauce didn't waste any time. As soon as he got an idea he went for it!

I like that! :)

Aug 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Below is a better picture of what I'm suggesting
    Attached Images

Aug 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
    After building my shelf with outlets I found I only use those for semi permanent things like the TV, dish receiver, wireless phone charger, etc... Most of my tools get plugged into an overhead recoiling extension cord, keeps the work surface more clear.

Aug 28, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    Wow,

ducsauce didn't waste any time. As soon as he got an idea he went for it!

I like that! :)
    Haha, I'm still deciding on what outlet configuration to go with. Its slowed me down.:(

I kind of like the shelf idea and was previously thinking about plugmold before posting here.

Aug 28, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I am sure both would work fine. I prefer the wooden shelf for several reasons. I have had some spills on my work bench and do not like water or voiltiles geeting anywhere near the receptacle. The shelf also gives me a convenient place to set small objects and screws while working. Since this is a garage are you considering a GFCI circuit breaker or GFCI receptacle? One Receptacle can protect the whole string.

Aug 28, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    I am sure both would work fine. I prefer the wooden shelf for several reasons. I have had some spills on my work bench and do not like water or voiltiles geeting anywhere near the receptacle. The shelf also gives me a convenient place to set small objects and screws while working. Since this is a garage are you considering a GFCI circuit breaker or GFCI receptacle? One Receptacle can protect the whole string.
    Yep, the garage doesn't have GFCI's outlets nor has a GFCI breaker feeding them. I was planning on making the outlet under the bench the GFCI and wiring the rest off the "load" side.

I guess the shelf idea would be a little cheaper instead of the $35 a piece plugmold. Also, I like the idea of the shelf too. I'll go that route. Thanks

Aug 28, 2008, 02:26 PM
    I did slightly bevel the bottom leg so the shelf tilts toward the pegboard just a hair, looks a tad odd but keeps screwes from rolling around.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
    My suggestion would be to put the plug mold or outlets under the front edge of the work bench. Installed in the peg board means that every time you plug a tool in, the cord pulls something off the work bench. Besides I've got so much junk on my work bench I couldn't get to the receptacles.

Aug 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Besides I've got so much junk on my work bench I couldn't get to the receptacles.
    Haha, that's what the pegboard is for. ;) I've thought about putting it on the front edge but decided against it. Kind of just want it along the wall.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Thommyschank is WRONG. There absolutely nothing improper or against code with what ballengerb1 suggests. It's a simple and practical solution to the problem, and yes, it provides an additional handy shelf.

Aug 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
    I like the suspended from the ceiling idea. I've done this for a few customers!

Aug 29, 2008, 06:52 AM
    "Thommyschank is WRONG" I can't agree more with Missouri unless Thommy would like to quote code for us. This is not a place to give folks a reddie base on opinion. Since one of my properties is all wood I'd like him to tell us how a wood panel can not have a recepetacle mounted on it. I used GFCI with 12/2 wire so speak up Thommy, where is the danger and code violation?

Oct 11, 2008, 11:16 AM

I know I should have done this sooner but I've been busy!

Here's a pic of the bench with the outlet shelf I decided to go with. Thanks for the help guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI Outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GFCI circuit in my panel board that all of my outlets near sinks feed to, but the outlets themselves are not GFI outlets (no trip on the outlet). Should they be? Isn't it code to have GFI outlets, or does the GFCI circuit take care of the code requirement?

Outlets went out [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 outlets in my house that previously worked yesterday, they went out. No fuses were tripped. The outlets still have power to them and the tester I am using is telling me that the hot/ground are reversed. How can this be when they worked for years and how can I fix the Problem? Also the...

Outlets outside [ 1 Answers ]

My outlet outside the house doesn't work. So how do I fix it or find out how to repair it

Wet Outlets [ 6 Answers ]

Our outdoor outlets occasionally stop working and unfortunately one in our garage that we use for our 2nd refrigerator as well. We think it's happening when they get wet. The breaker is not tripped... I've checked the fuse box and those look okay. Last time they just started working again after...

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

View more questions Search