Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adgeer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Any Financial Advisors or Insurance Agents Here?
    My quest for trying to find a job in my field (financial analyst) in SC has proven to lead to a few dead ends or huge pay cuts. I've been applying for jobs in other fields so that I don't have to commute 2 hours every day from SC to GA or stay in GA M-F and not see my family until the weekends. Which I've been doing a little of both since getting married on May 31st. During my search Edward Jones has caught my attention a number of times. So, last week I started the application process for their Financial Advisor opportunities. I've been reading a lot about them and love how the company has a client first philosophy. I also love that this opportunity allows for freedom and a better quality of family life (working in your community, flexibility to have more time with spouse/children, etc.) I also like that they have extensive training which may be very challenging but prepares you to hit the ground running and aids in you developing your business. I must admit though that I have a fear of sales and going door to door. I am also a little reluctant, because I've read that you may struggle for the first 2-3 years while building your business. However, I know that I have to get out of my comfort zone in order to be home with my family. I am ready for the challenge, I know that Edward Jones' hiring process can be tough and I may not even be selected for an Financial Advisor position. However, I think I am going to persevere through the process anyway. I was hoping to get some information from people here. Do any of you work for Edward Jones? Are you or anyone you know a Financial Advisor or Insurance Agent? If so, how did you build your business? Tell me about the ups and downs! How is it working on straight commission? Any advice that you can provide is greatly appreciated. TIA for your help.
    lwelch Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Aug 28, 2008, 07:00 AM
    I am very surprised that you are having a hard time as a financial analyst (CFA?). I think that edward jones financial advisors are treated sort of like a franchise i.e. you own your own business. This can be difficult in the first few years until you establish a strong book of business.
    adgeer Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
    I'm not a CFA. I've been a Financial Analyst for about 7 years for different companies. What I'm running into in moving from GA to SC is that when interviewing for Senior Analyst position... I am usually the top candidate but they wanted to offer me about $15-$20K less. I do understand though the cost of living is different in SC as oppose to GA and would have taken a pay cut. However, I can't take a cut that huge.

Thanks so much for responding.
    maxis Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Hello I am insurance agent and the company I work with realized that the biggest problem in the industry was having someone to sell to, they have developed our very own lead system that has made my job much much easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any financial advisors? [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to know how to start over financially & get things back in order. I am 26, sngle,and live in a $1300/mon apartment. I'm locked into the lease for the next year, I just lost my job in sales, am still in grad school, owe 1200 dollars in a loan for cosmetic surgery & other debt adding up to...

Investment Advisors [ 1 Answers ]

Who are the top five inestment advisors?

Investment advisors [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find a ranking of the nations top rated financial advisors?

Having Two Financial Advisors.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. Does it matter if you have two financial advisors, one for my long term and one for my short, or just two to have a different view? Is such a thing feasible? Any help appreciated!

View more questions Search