Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aliyah21 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 05:18 AM
    How to Install or replace a New OS with your existing OS?
    How to install a New OS (Windows XP Prof.) to your existing OS (Windows Vista)? Rather, do I need to Reformat my PC first to install the New OS? & How to re-format a PC?:confused: Thanks!
    rehaan_kool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Hello... It is better if you format the drive in which the OS is installed.. Else you can even upgrade the Windows Xp OS in the same drive.. while installing the new copy of OS it will promt to change the previous directory name.. by default it will b WINDOWS.. just rename it.. and give the enw directory name as WINDOWS1.. This will install a new copy of XP OS on your system with out formatting the system.. But it is suggestible that you format and install a fresh copy.. as if you have 2 OS in system your system will get slow.. Take care Bye
    BoomerPro Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
    How many drive letters do you have? C: D: E: how many are hard drive letters and how many CD drive letters? If you have 2 hard drive letters, take anything off the one for example move files from D: to C:.. then you CAN format D: you can go to My Computer and right click on D: and then click on format... then I would LABEL the drive as well... call it Number 2 or something like that... then you can insert the OS CD, reboot the computer and when the OS install program comes up.. it should give you a choice of where to install it... choose the "number 2" drive ( that you just LABELED) and the install should take care of itself.
    After it is done... each boot of the computer will give you a small menu as to which operating system you want to boot to.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace 5 ton with a 4 ton AC; keep existing duct work [ 3 Answers ]

I have to install a new air conditioning unit. The old one is dead (Heil 60LC-000087CR; a 5 ton machine manufactured in 1991) Two contractors have bid to replace it (Trane 13 SEER and a Lennox 14 SEER). Both have recommended 5 ton machines. However on this site and other literature - proper...

Fan Install of Existing ceiling lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a switch that controls 2 lights in my living room, I would like to install a fan between the lights. Is there any way that I can tap juice off those lights without running another wire to an individual switch. The fan is remote controlled. My fear is that I obviously can't turn...

Determining whether to replace an existing asset [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to determine whether to replace an existing asset (machine): Proposed new asset (machine) has a purchase price of $50,000, with $3,000 in installation costs. The asset will depreciate over five years, using the straight-line method. The new asset is expected to increase sales by...

Remove & replace an existing vinyl liner [ 2 Answers ]

A woodchuck burrowed beneath my 16x32 rectangular pool with a vinyl liner. The ground below the pool floor has suck where the burrows are and I now have pot hole like ruts about 6-10 inches deep on the pool floor. Can I remove the water and pull back the liner, repair the ground and get the liner...

View more questions Search