Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilkylun Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Home business
    If I wanted to start my own cookie dough biz what does this mean "Your home would need to be zoned for part time business use ( may require zoning change) which includes hearing before local boards depending on the current class.":confused:

Where do I go to get a hearing to allow me to run a home business ?

If I need product liability insurance what is it, where do I get it from, and also what do I have to do to get it?:confused:

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:46 PM
    It means if you live in a strictly residential area where there are no businesses that if you want to start any type of business you would need to go have a hearing through most probably your township to see if they can allow you to run a home business.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Do you have a boro building, a city county building, a municipal building? Or you can call your local police and ask them for a number for the inspector that does your towns ordinances.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:07 PM
    What is this and how do I get it?
    With your previous posts I take it you would want insurance to protect you in case somebody got sick on your baked goods or claimed they 'found a hair' in them.
    I think you may want to call the Small business Association in your area and see if they can help you learn how to start your own business. Business licenses, tax identification numbers, insurance, how to start it up, zoning laws are all covered by information the SBA can give you.
    Any insurance company that insures business should be able to insure you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 09:12 PM
    You also may need to go before some type of city counsel. That's how it would be in the city where I live.

Also, depending on where you live, it's possible that if you already live near some businesses, that your area may already be zoned for having a business. Some other possible things that you most likely will need would be permits, health department inspections and permissions, the proper manufacturing equipment as described by law, insurance, etc. Going to the city administration to find out exactly what you are going to need, where you are wanting to operate that kind of business would be your best bet as far as inquiring because the laws and requirements will vary from place to place.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Perhaps if you would give us an idea as to where the business is located, someone might come along who would know about the laws there.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Yes, for some you need to do nothing, are you going to have customers coming to the home, but you normally go to city hall about a business license, and if you have to get the zoning changed on the building, which would be the city and/or county zoning dept.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Please don't start new threads, add to the existing one.

I lost a few good answers trying to merge these posts.

You get insurance from an insurance agent that does commercial insurance, also if you are doing businessat home you will have to add business to home polcy and to the car policy if you use one of the cars for business.

You will need to see about business license, and at the zoning department for a change in the property status
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Oh, well... I was just in the middle of proceeding to merge them, Fr_Chuck, but thanks for doing it!

Of course, you are correct about keeping things about the same, specific subject on one thread.

My answer was going to be the following after the merger.

Hi, lilkylun!

I just merged all three of your questions about starting your cookie dough business into one thread in order to avoid confusion here so that everyone will understand what it is that you are asking about.

If you post other questions that are just in general about starting a small business, then it would be okay to start a new thread. In the meantime, questions that are specific to your cookie dough business would probably be better to remain on this thread so that people can know right away what it is that you are wanting to know in relation to that specific business.

Thanks!
    Perhaps my answer above will also be of benefit to lilkylun.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Stray answer by NOhelp4u in post #4 above was found in the original question spot at the start of another thread. It has now been merged onto this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search