Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Flashing Display and intermittent radio shut off?
    I have the strangest situation with my 2005 Chrysler Sebring Sedan.

On the last two days of our vacation, I first noticed that the digital display at the bottom of the speedometer where you have the P R N D 3 L and the mileage just below that, started to flicker.

At first, it was just a slight flicker, then it seemed to get worse.

Then, all of a sudden the radio made a poping sound and lost all power.

While the radio had no power, the digital display on the spedo flickered much stronger than prior to the radio shutting off.

It is now doing this at total random, if the radio is on, it makes a pop, shuts off, then comes back on, may stay on for 5 seconds, or 5 minutes, before it does the same thing again, sometimes off and on a dozen times in just a couple of minutes.

It will go with no problem for up to 3 hours, and start this process all over again.

I can tell that it must not be losing total power because the clock maintains the correct time and the radio maintains it's pre-programed stations, unlike when you disconnect the battery and have to reset everything.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Check the fuses in the under-dash fuse box. Sometimes, oxidation develops on fuse blades or the blades need to be bent (very slightly) to improve contact. Try removing the fuses and cleaning the blades with 240 grit cloth.

If you don't know what fuse goes to the radio, turn the radio on and start pulling fuses, one at a time, until you identify what fuse causes the radio to go out. Clean and adjust, if necessary, that fuse and reinstall. Should the problem persist, start reviewing wiring and connections.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 12:58 PM
    OK. I have an update, and an even more urgent need for help with this!

I cleaned and adjusted and replaced all the fuses.

It did not seem to help at all, and now this morning, things got worse, but I think I'm closer to finding the problem.

On the way to work today, the normal flashing started up again. Hell, I don't even try to listen to the radio since it just keeps popping off and on it's really irritating.

Only today, my little red battery light came on. I made it to work and decided to have the alternator checked. It checked out fine. I'm out running some field collects this afternoon and at one stop, when I got back in to start it, it was TOTALLY dead. No lights, no door open dinger, nothing.

I open the hood, and give a little knock with my knuckle on the fuse and relay center box and heard the door dinger go off. Got in, and it started right up. Two or three more stops, no problem, last stop, same thing happens again. Nothing electric working. I tap the box again, nothing helps. I close the hood, sit there trying to find a mobile auto repair service, and after sitting there about 10 minutes, the door dinger goes off again, and it starts right up. I drive about 2 miles back to the shop, shut it off, and now it is dead, again.

It has to be something in the fuse and relay box, I'm pretty certain of that.

How do I know which relay would cause these type of problems?

There appear to be about 6 or 7 little black plastic boxes in the fuse and relay center and one out of all of them seemed to be warmer to the touch, but I can't really tell for sure.

Anyone know which relay I should check first or have any other ideas as to what might be going on with this Chrysler??

Thanks for any assistance that may be available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Thermostat Has Intermittent Blank Display [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Furnace with the Bryant thermostat that came with the unit. This is a non-programmable thermostat and is powered by electric (no battery power). The problem is intermittent but while the furnace is running sometimes there is no display on the thermostat. Pressing the up/down...

2003 Accord Radio Display Off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have seen that this is quite a common problem with Accord radio/cdplayers. Going through the site I have seen that there is a service bulletin issued by Honda to repair it for free even if the vehicle is not under warranty. My issue, however, is that I bought this used car with 59K...

Chronotherm III flashing display [ 1 Answers ]

My older Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat is flashing. I have replaced the batteries and tried to reprogram but it won't let me do anything, it just flashes the present hold temperature setting. W

Desktop display flashing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell Desktop PIV Professional SP 2 version, I was running Aqua desktop and all of a sudden desktop display gone blank. Tried several ways no joy. Getting a warning message as security setting not set for Active x hence the problem. Trying for safe mode but F8 not responding. System is...

View more questions Search