Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Aug 27, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Getting a Work Permit while visiting Canada
    If I enter Canada as a visitor and decide I want to stay and work, can I apply for a work permit while I'm in Canada, or do I have to return to the US and apply for the Work permit from the US.
    The same question goes for my boyfriend he would be entering Canada as a visitor from Mexico.
    I just thought it would be easier to network up there and try to get a work permit up there instead of from the US/Mexico, but either way would be fine.
    I'm also looking at the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program for myself. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Please visit this website to understand what you have to do. The same would apply to your b/f. It isn't easy, but you must read through it to provide everything they need to know.

Canada Work Permit

Aug 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
    I've read through it and I believe it said on the website that you could either apply for a work permit while in Canada or outside of Canada. I've just started researching so I have to go through some things again.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
    There are certain restrictions on visitors of Canada filing work permits from within Canada. If your from the States and your b/f is from Mexico thanyou are in luck and you may apply for a work permit from within Canada because you a visa exempt. You may even apply for the permit at a port of entry and receive it same day. However, it is more complicated than just being able to apply for a work permit from within Canada.

You may both need HRSDC approval, to get HRSDC approval you first need a job. Without knowing your situation and how long you plan to visit Canada for I could not tell you how long this process would take. Many factors determine your best course of action.

Aug 28, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Thank you BMI do you know if there is a way that I can obtain a list of employers in Canada that would get HRSDC approval, and that are also willing to give someone employment and wait until the work permit goes through. I figured if we went there on a visit we could at least network with companies even if we did have to go back to the US/Mexico to apply for the permit. I've been researching the immigration website and also the one listed above and have found them very informative. Thank you for all of your help. I think as we get closer to doing this the answers will become clearer. Thank you BMI again and Tickle for the information. I still would appreciate any more feedback. Thanks. What is the best province that you have a chance at finding a job?
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 09:51 PM
    It isn't exactly the best Provinces. The ones with the major centres are the best as Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Alberta. Winnipeg, Manitoba are in dire need of any kind of workers as they are experiencing a boom there now.

Aug 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
    There is no list of employers that submit HRSDC applications, it is up to the company who offers you a position. In addition to the job offer they also need a reason why hiring a foreign worker is necessary, basically why could they not just hire a Canadian. Your idea of visiting Canada and networking seems like your best option at this point. I would imagine that employers here are not to liberal with job offers to applicants they have never met.

To answer your question as to which province is best, Tickle is right. There is no one province in which obtaining a job is that much easier. Manitoba and Alberta do require more help but that is in relation to specific fields of work (agriculture and others). Also, the shortages in those provinces are more related to the PNP programs and not so much to work permits. Rarely if ever does a farmer apply for a temporary work permit, hence the whole PNP projects.

I'm not sure what it is you do for a living but that would play a large role in whatever your planning to do.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Actually, Winnipeg, Manitoba needs experienced IT workers as well as skilled trade. There is a housing boom there so as you can imagine, food serving people are likely to find work there too.

Aug 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I was thinking Winnipeg, because it is close to MN where I'm from, but I have a job at a place that is a subsidiary of Kingsway America which is a subsidiary of Kingsway Financial based out of Mississauga so I was thinking of trying to apply for a transfer there. I'll get it figured out eventually. I like the idea of Winnipeg, but I have a friend who is currently living in Montreal that said he may be willing to move to Toronto and live with us if we can find work there, and I believe Mississiauga is near Toronto or a suburb of Toronto. I'm still doing research so I apologize if I make incorrect statements on my geography.

Aug 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Lol, your doing just fine. Missassauga is a stone's throw away from Toronto.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Okay, a bit of advice. Toronto is a huge place, many suburbs, many professional people looking for jobs doing anything to sustain their families and many well qualified immigrants who have work permits. The unemployment rate is not good in Toronto because of this. And you will still have to prove that you are not taking a job that a naturalized citizen couldn't do.

I would suggest further west where you are more then likely to find employment, not necessarily to start with something you want, but something that will put a roof over your head and food on the table. While you have this secondary type of employment you can be looking for something more suitable. Must warn you though, accommodation in Winnipeg is very expensive and at a premium so do your homework first and take a look around in both areas. Visit and view.

Sep 2, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Sorry. I was away for the weekend enjoying my grandparents cabin in Northern MN on Lake Vermilion. I have my BA in Spanish with a Double Minor in professional studies and music. I currently am a Bilingual Customer Service Representative for a car insurance company, but have retail and banking experience also.
    My boyfriend has expierience in construction and puts up siding Cement Bord, Vinyl, Steel, etc...
    I have enough points to qualify for a permanent resident, but my boyfriend wouldn't qualify to go under me. He has almost enough points and I think would qualify if he learned a little more English.
    In Missassauga or Toronto do you need a car to get around town, or do they have good public transportation?

Sep 2, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Someone told me in British Colombia there are many job opportunities. I was also thinking of checking into International Falls in Manitoba since it is only two hours from my grandparents cabin on lake vermilion. I still need to do my research and this change is months away if we decide to go to Canada.
    I was thinking of going the entrepreneur route since I own my own business too, but I don't have the capital that they want to see if they give that type of visa.
    m14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Hey I would like join a soccer team frm the Canadian Soccer League in Toronto. I am a British Citizen living in the UK. What criteria do I need to meet to obtain a work permit to play soccer there? I may also need to work part time elsewhere to pay for my living expenses as I don't think the pay is that in the CSL. I am 24 years old and have a law degree.

Sep 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Camborio - If you are common-law with your b/f then he can accompany you on your permanent resident application without being subject to the points system.

Toronto is a major city, they have public transit no better or worse than any other city of its kind.

M14- You need to have an offer from the team that wishes to employ your services. Once that is obtained you should have no other problems when applying. Pay theprocessing fee, enclose you personal identification (passport), fill out the forms and submit.

Sep 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Thanks BMI. Roughly how much is the process fee and how long will it take? If I'm successful in getting a work permit to play football in canada, can I also use that to work in other job industries? The pay in Canadian football isn't that great so would need to work elsewhere part time. Also the plan is to come to toronto to have the tryout and if I'm successful, should I apply for the work permit whilst in toronto or do I have to come back to the UK to apply for it and wait?
    Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 01:18 PM
    m14, if you are not camborio then you have to start your own post. You won't get a work permit to play football here in Canada that easiy. You have to be drafted into the NFL and have a pretty good reputation before you play football here.

We only have varsity soccer teams in Toronto, so that is out of the question too.

Sep 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Sorry I should have started my own post. Also, you do have pro soccer teams in Toronto. There's a couple from the Canadian soccer league based in toronto. North york astros is one. Also I meant to say soccer and not football.

Sep 8, 2008, 05:47 PM
    There is just one problem... how can I prove common law if he is illegal here in the US. We want to be together on our own terms and it will either be in Mexico, or Canada. Plus his sister wants to get her masters degree in Canada so now I have to research that too, I think she graduates this year from a Mexican university with a degree in accounting or business.

I figure, I know that it will be hard, but I figure whatever is hard makes you stronger, and it will work out if it is supposed to... I've also been to Canada and love it there.

If we go to International Falls, one perk will be we'll only be two hours away from my grandparents cabin on Lake Vermilion :)

Sorry for rambling :)

Sep 9, 2008, 07:52 AM
    M14 - You can start you own thread or PM if you have any further questions about this. I will answer your last query though. The try-out can be facilitated by obtaining the invitation from the soccer team. The try-out is not considered work and so you will not need a work permit to take part in it. You may come as a visitor and try-out for the team, obviously that would be your reason for coming/visiting Canada when Immigration asks. If all goes well and they offer you a contract than you may apply within Canada for the permit. Secondly, usually the permit will be issued allowing you to ONLY work for the designated company, in your case team. However, once you start playing for the team you may file another permit totake up a part time job to cover your expenses.

No offence to Tickle but obtaining a work permit for sports related activities is no harder than obtaining one for any other occupation. In fact, in many ways it is much easier.

Camborio - His status in the U.S is irrelevant in determining your relationship to Canada Immigration. If you are proving common-law than you are focusing on the relationship. Either you've lived together for a year or you haven't. Where you lived, what hisstatus was is not the issue, at least not for the purposes you are asking about.

Hope it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work permit [ 2 Answers ]

My husband in uk now he havwing work permit visa .his company sponsor accommodation And others fees related to house can I apply for dependent visa , I have one daughter. She is now 4years 8 months old. Can I get the visa. Husband visa validity up to 2012.

Work permit to enter canada from united states [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a truck driver, but I can't enter canada because I have a felony, however, I have learned that I can obtain a minister permit to enter canada to allow me to work, how do I go about obtaining such a permit Kindly yours, ...

Visiting Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Am a new member of this website. I would like to ask question regarding obtaining visa to Canada. I am a new immigrant to the US, I will have my gren card in the coming next months. My question is Can I visit Canada without the need to obtain Visa ? Could you please advise? Regards...

Work permit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm augandan lad with an exceptional ability in football, but I,want to know the soccer credentials an african must have to join any European football team?

Visiting Canada [ 1 Answers ]

When visiting Canada from the states do you need a passport now?

View more questions Search