Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JESS1318 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Proper $ for a weding gift
    What is the proper amount to give as a wedding gift?
    cottoncandy Posts: 29, Reputation: 0

Aug 27, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Well look at some of the things at places the bride has registered at. That will give you an idea of what she expects people to give her. How much you actually do spend is your own business. But if you are part of the wedding, like a bridesmaid probably go higher, or if it's a really elaborate reception you were treated to, you don't want to stiff her.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:50 PM
    There are several schools of thought...
    Give twice what you would give the bride for a birthday gift.
    Give enough to cover the cost of the meal for yourself and your date.
    Give what you can afford.

Actually monetary amount will vary by your area of the country. Among my friends, $200 per guest is probably average.
    davina4822 Posts: 55, Reputation: 9

Sep 6, 2008, 06:36 AM
    I don't believe that wedding gifts of money should be viewed as a reimbursement to the couple for the cost of the reception. You are invited to help celebrate their marriage. Were guests asked to give gifts of money? If so, that is very tackiy. How about a gift that would mean something to both of them? It doesn't have to be expensive.
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

It also depends on what financial situation you are in. I've typically only given $50 as gifts, because that is all I could afford, but I also helped the bride with setting up the centerpieces, and with ushering, etc...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 01:37 PM

1000 dollars or so is perfect ( in some economic circles it may even be too low)

Do you work for min wage at McDonalds or are you a rocket scientist at NASA, or perhaps the president of AIG. How much depends on your budget alone
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    1000 dollars or so is perfect ( in some economic circles it may even be too low)

Do you work for min wage at McDonalds or are you a rocket scientist at NASA, or perhaps the president of AIG. How much depends on your budget alone
    Fr_chuck, you're invited to my wedding. I'm not engaged yet, but you're still invited... :):cool:
    Sarwat_86 Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Nov 12, 2008, 01:04 PM

Primarily It depends on the relations you have with the brides and secondly on your pocket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper way to thank a Dr [ 7 Answers ]

What would be an appropriate way to thank my Dr who did a wonderful and life-changing surgery for me? I am so elated and feel an absolute need to express my gratitude. I plan to give a gift basket of candies and some other "girlie" things to his staff who are all women, and thank him separately...

Marine Weding [ 1 Answers ]

I am Just begining to plan a weding for Janurary. My fiance' is active duty in the Marine Corps. We are seriously considering having Military Wedding, but I have so many questions, and I can only seem to get bits and pieces answers. Like for example; We still haven't decided if we are going to...

United States Marine Corps Weding [ 6 Answers ]

I am Just beginning to plan a weding for January. My fiance' is active duty in the Marine Corps. We are seriously considering having Military Wedding, but I have so many questions, and I can only seem to get bits and pieces answers. Like for example; We still haven't decided if we are going to...

Proper Thank You [ 5 Answers ]

Hello~ My 13 yr old daughters friend and family has taken her on an all expense paid 4 day trip to Disneyland including an hours air faire. They are paying for EVERYTHING including an expensive hotel stay. How do I possible thank them for this?:confused:

Proper English [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to use the word comraderie?

View more questions Search