Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YasminNA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Credit card Judgment
    Back in 1987 I didn't pay one of my credit card and so it stayed in my credit for 7 years. I just received a judgment on my credit for the same credit card. Is this possible? This has already ruined my credit 20 years ago. What should I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Chances are very good that the statute of limitations has run out for this debt. It still exists but they can not get a judgement againist you in court. Check your state statute. Could you explain further what you meant by "judgment on my credit " Collection companies buy old debt for pennies on the dollar hoping you will blink and make an offer to pay, that offer of even a penny will restart the statute. If the debt was real and you want to pay that's strictly up to you but you can no longer be forced to pay.
    YasminNA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Thank you for the answer. They reported the "Judgment" on my creadit report. Is it possible to ruin my credit after 20 years once again? Isn't this against the law?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 09:43 AM
    That area is a bit beyond my experience but I would contact the Credit reporting agency and challenge that portion of your credit report. The statute has run out so I think the reporting of it also has run out. 7 years is the norm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card Judgment [ 8 Answers ]

I am in Arizona and I have just beem summons for a judgement on a credit card dedt. Can they put a lien on my home of garnish my wages?

Credit Card Judgment [ 6 Answers ]

NY - I received a letter from the enforcement officer, that the court found favor of judgment for the creditor (Capital one) 1. I was never informed of a court date nor did I ever receive a letter on it 2. My credit limit was $600.00 court judgment is for $1629.00.. +interest from 04/10/08 Again...

Credit Card Judgment [ 3 Answers ]

I have researched the info I can find on here before posting this. I can't find what I need to know. Here is my situation. I was served a summons to appear in court for $6400 credit card debt. I called the attorney that is representing the bank that is sueing me for judgment. I asked for the...

Credit card judgment [ 1 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen needless to say there was a judgment against me from an old credit card dept the collection agency claims that was my account ,I filed an order to show cause emedeitly and my court date is up soon.but I really don't know if the account is mine,can I ask for validation of...

View more questions Search