Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvanderkamp Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Asphalting Driveway
    We are looking at asphalting our driveway and have received quotes anywhere from $700 - $2000. The driveway is dirt and some gravel, and the higher quote includes excavation and 10" of gravel, plus 2.5" of asphalt. The cheaper quote is a few inches of gravel (~4") and 2.5" of asphalt, compacted to 2". Since the driveway has been in its current state for several years, the person doing the cheaper quote said that there would be no reason to disturb the base as it would already be compacted. Is that true?

We live in Southern Ontario, so the driveway would be subjected to hot and cold weather, and lots of frost. I don't want to have to redo the driveway in a few years, but on the other hand if I can save $1000 and still have a good result I am all for it of course. Anybody know what to look for in these quotes and what a proper driveway that will last is made of?

Many thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 03:49 AM
    I do believe that your base should be good; assuming they'll level and prep it properly. The 2.5" of asphalt is correct.

As for longevity, seal coat it every year and use a crack filler the moment you get a crack, and it should last many years (10+).

Concrete is far more long-lasting and less maintenance, but of course it is much more expensive.

Sounds like you've got a small drive; you might want to get a couple concrete bids.
    mvanderkamp Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Many thanks for your advice. We will go with the cheaper quote and maintain it properly. As it is, they have a two year warranty, so this should allow for any major problems to show up.

Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil on asphalt driveway [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove oil of a leaky car from my asphalt driveway?

Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with someone who was supposed to dump some dirt on my property. I clearly stated that my driveway would only handle the weight of a 1-ton dump truck. I come to find out that this guy used a single axle or 10-ton dump truck to haul this dirt. The weight of the truck...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface Question [ 1 Answers ]

We had our very long driveway-1000ft long-resurfaced yesterday with 2 to3 inches of hot asphalt. We're getting conflicting info on how long to safely wait before driving our cars onto it, parking on it, allowing trucks such as garbage and gardener or oil delivery etc to drive onto it. It looks...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface [ 5 Answers ]

Our existing asphalt driveway is 21 years old and looks it. We were going to replace it with concrete, but with quotes coming in at around $5K to $6K, when I stopped crying I realized resurfacing the asphalt is the wise choice. The driveway is 25' long by 17' wide. It does have a puddling...

Driveway work [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a gravel road and have a circular gravel driveway. One side of my circle has so much weed coming through, and is considerably lower than the other side of the circle, so I plan to put more gravel on it this week. A friend mentioned that I should consider laying the weed stopper sheets...

View more questions Search