Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 11:18 AM
    "I'm a cop - look what I can do."
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Doesn't look like the US so who knows what will happen... Cops are getting out of hand these days
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
    It's from Denver, yesterday.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Wow they don't enforce a dress code there then. Around here cops uniforms must fit snuggly and be pressed and look well done.
    akez Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Aug 27, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Did he hit her with his baton and push her? I didn't see that she provoked that kind of force. Interesting that when the news was interviewing her, they hauled her away. What kind of protest was this anyway?
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 11:51 AM
    It was a peaceful protest at the DNC. I believe the group is called Code Pink but that's not that relevant here.

Aug 27, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Should be stripped of his badge! But then again maybe we are only seeing what the creator of this video wants us to see and not the entire deal! He's in riot gear and trained to handle hostle protests. Either way, she wasn't armed and all but 100lbs. Perhaps there's a law in Denver for wearing all that pink.. kidding!

I will have to Google this, I haven't heard anything about this.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Judging from what I could make out in the video, the police officer didn't appear to be under physical attack. Assuming that was all there is to the situation, the officer commanded her to move, and might had taken some verbal abuse in return, but his response to her obstinance was not code. Protocol at that point should be to warn her once more, and then subdued her in handcuffs. Usually in protests, the city issues permits and provides zoned areas. However, if a protest is conducted illegally without permission of the municipal, i.e. blocking normal public accessible areas such as streets, there are some routine arrests and if the police really need to move a crowd a direction using force, they use their shields in line movement steps and tear gas if absolutely necessary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Bad thing of clips, you don't see what happened prior to cause all of this, and to be honest did not sound so "peaceful" was there things being thrown, were they ordered to go back and refused ( refusal of police order allows force to be used to push them back)

I would say that without seeing the entire thing, not a most likely edited version I will say most likely they were reacting to the need for force by actions of a unruly crowd.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Bad cop - No doughnut
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    bad thing of clips, you don't see what happened prior to cause all of this, and to be honest did not sound so "peaceful" was there things being thrown, were they ordered to go back and refused ( refusal of police order allows force to be used to push them back)

I would say that without seeing the entire thing, not a most likely edited version I will say most likely they were reacting to the need for force by actions of a unruly crowd.
    Good point. It's only a short clip.

Just for information purposes and anybody wondering: Code Pink is neither necessarily Democrat or Republican based, but their protest in general is against the war in Iraq, and any possible bombing of future countries, such as Iran. Code Pink is also planning on being at the Republican convention.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
    One thing we can say: she has the courage of her convictions. I hope she is OK.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
    I was wondering how someone would justify knocking down an unarmed 100lb woman with a baton.

I wonder why they didn't arrest her until later when she was speaking to the media? Plus they grabbed her quite forcefully didn't they?
    Is all this stuff OK in the US?

Aug 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
    May I just play the women card here. These women are for peace and compassion. Women for peace, if you will, so what justifies the heavy armor? Or the assult? They are women activists excercising their freedom of speech.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
    We will need more information; I note that there appears to be a bullhorn next to where the lady is on the ground. I don't think a cop would strike a woman for profanity, but he might if she shouted into his ear; but that is just a thought. This is why we have courts.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
    More here: Police Trap Peaceful Protesters in Denver | American News Project
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
    She's a white woman so no one will probably care!
    *edit* that is enough to do anything about it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Got to agree with Fr Chuck ; the taunts and other activities prior to “the incident” never seem to make it to the tape.

I can't wait to hear all the Obots complaining about the harsh treatment by law enforcement at their convention.

The Code Pinkos should go home . The Recreate 68 movement(with it's promise of anarchy and riots ) has been a complete dud . Not even one tear gas or taser incident . What a yawner.
    I saw a video of some protesters getting in cops on bicycles faces begging to get arrested . The cops did not react despite the provocation.

NK ,You ask if this stuff is OK in the US and I say that I'm sure there will be an investigation ,and a bandaid for any scrapes or wounded ego this protester incured. Perhaps she will retain John Edwards to represent her.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 03:12 PM
    This is apparently what happened:

An Associated Press photographer at the scene said the officer pushed the woman back with his baton as other officers ordered protesters to stay away from a golf cart being used to ferry police. The woman went back to the police and said, "Do it again."

That's when the officer pushed the woman to the ground and ordered her to back off, calling her a "b****." The exchange can be heard on a video captured by a photographer with the Rocky Mountain News.
    MichaelMoore.com : 2 demonstrators detained in Denver demonstration

I did hear her say "Do it again" on the tape posted here.
    Still no doughnut though...

Aug 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
    If he was pushing her back, perhaps they were entering into a restricted area. She did say do it again after the push, but it doesn't justify the assult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search