Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwells29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Leaking Sun Room Roof
    We have a 14 x 24 ft sun room. The roof is 4 x 14' thick panels. The room is appx. 9 years old. The panels are leaking between the joints. Last year I coated the total roof area with Kool Seal, administering two coats. This lasted about 3 or 4 months and it began leaking again in the same places. The space between the panels is about 1/16". Has anyone else run into this problem. The Kool Seal seams to have broken down at the seams. I have been advised to use liquid rubber. Would appreciate advice. Thank You. Cecil Wells. User name cwells29.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Cecil,
    My Dad recently bought a house that had a sunroom that was doing the same thing. They didn't have enough "fall" on the roof. They rarely do. However, instead of trying to modify that, we took a few other steps.

One the over-lap into the guttering was too short. We cleaned the guttering and added a small piece of flashing by slipping it under the roof panels so that it could overhang into the guttering just a little more.

We keep the leaves cleaned off the roof to prevent backup.

We used silicone caulk on some of seams and all of the flashing that we put on. Use pure silicone, not siliconized caulk. You really should only need silicone on the seams. Also check the screws. They should have rubber washers under the heads. If they don't guess what? You'll need to back them out a little and silicone them, or replace them with screws with rubber washers.

Hope that helps.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Screen Room roof leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old screen roof that has a insulated roof system. Since this roof faces the east in the hot Florida sun there is plenty of expansion and contraction. The room continues to leak each time it rains. It has been suggested that due to the pitch of that roll roofing be applied to...

Leaking roof [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roof that has layer of shingles covered with tar paper. I have a leak which I cannot find? How do I find it and if I find it, how do I repair it?

Leaking Roof - Best repair option? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have (finally!) located a leak in my roof. There is a hole about 1 inch square in the tar paper underlay that sits under the tiles on my sloping roof. When it rains and is moderately windy, water is dripping through. I don't really want to get on the roof and fix it from the...

Building a roof over an existing sun room [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to size the rafters I need to use to build a roof over an existing sun room. The span is 21 feet from wall to support beams and I'm thinking of using 24' - 2 x 8 for the rafters. The intent is to rarely if ever go out on the roof once it's up, it's merely to insulate the roof of the sun...

Leaking meatal roof [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hello we just put on a new metal roof on and it leaks around the firerplace. We put a roofer grade sealer on the cover but it still leaks can anyone offer any advice

View more questions Search