Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malink Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 03:34 PM
    OK my friend

I just took a ing long wire and hooked it up behind terminal 7 and took off the connector of the pump and just plug it straight up to the pump... I turned the key to on AND BANG FUEL PUMP RUNS FINE

Si what ill do... ill just strip the wire behind both connector and just fuse the new wire to the old one and put electrical tape

What you think
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I'm not sure I exactly follow what you did. I defer to your judgement.

Aug 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I just bypassed the normal wire
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:51 PM
    If you are basically just replacing a bad wire with a new one, I have no problem with it. Just make sure the relay still works the way it was originally designed. There are safety components to it.

Aug 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Well my friend... if I ever have any more problems ill get back to you... youve been really helpful and now my car start no problemo. Just like before

Id like to talk you for the time you gave me AND my car (since she is my beauty)
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Good job!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Thought you would find this of interest. Wrote this up, after our efforts--thanks for the inspiration. It should make life easier for others.

Fuel System Troubleshooting

This is a two-part problem: 1) Determine if the fuel pump works, and 2) Determine why the PGM-FI Main Relay doesn't work properly.

If you don't hear the fuel pump run, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II):

Problem 1: Determine if the fuel pump works.

1. Disconnect the main relay from the main relay connector. Jump main relay connector Terminals 5 and 7, turn the ignition switch to ON, and listen for the fuel pump in the gas tank. If you can hear the fuel pump run, which is usually the case, it is likely good and you should proceed to Problem 2. If it doesn't run, go to Step 2.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON. Measure voltage between main relay connector Terminal 5 and ground. If there's not battery voltage, test/replace the ACG (ALT) (S) (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box. If necessary, repair an open in the wiring between the main relay and the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse. Verify that you now have battery voltage to Terminal 5. If the fuel pump still doesn't run, however, go to Step 3.

3. Check for continuity between main relay connector Terminal 7 and the fuel pump. If necessary, repair an open in the wiring. If the fuel pump still doesn't run, go to Step 4.

4. Check fuel pump. Even though it's certainly possible, I have never seen a Honda fuel pump fail. They are very reliable. Clean connections and thoroughly test pump motor, prior to replacement. Before going any further, all efforts must be focused on getting the fuel pump to run (i.e. solve Problem 1 first), when main relay connector Terminals 5 and 7 are jumped and the ignition switch is turned to ON. If the main relay and fuel pump still don't work properly together, however, go to Problem 2.

Problem 2: Determine why the PGM-FI Main Relay doesn't work properly.

5. Check for continuity between main relay connector Terminal 2 and body ground, with the ignition switch OFF. If there's no continuity, clean the main ECM ground, which is usually located on the thermostat housing. Look for 3 wires going to a brass connector. Remove the 10 mm bolt, clean with No. 240 abrasive cloth, and apply dielectric grease. Repair, if necessary, an open in the wiring between the main relay and the main ECM ground. If there's continuity, go to Step 6.

6. Measure voltage between main relay connector Terminal 1 and ground. If there is not battery voltage, test/replace the ECM fuse (15 A) in the under-hood fuse/relay box. If necessary, repair an open in the wiring between the main relay and the ECM fuse. If there is battery voltage, go to Step 7.

7. Turn the ignition switch to START. With manual transmissions, depress the clutch pedal. With automatic transmissions, the gear selector must be in Neutral or Park. Measure voltage between main relay connector Terminal 6 and ground. If there's not battery voltage, test/replace the STARTER SIGNAL (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box. If necessary, repair an open in the wire between the main relay and the STARTER SIGNAL fuse. Should the main relay and fuel pump still not work properly, go to Step 8.

8. Perform the K-Test on the ECM. Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch ON (not start). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate. The ECM controls grounding to main relay Terminal 8, which affects when the second relay inside the main relay opens and closes. If the ECM cannot control grounding to the second relay, the fuel pump will not run. The only alternative is to replace the ECM.

SUMMARY OF MAIN RELAY PROBLEM AREAS:

Terminal 1--Test ECM fuse in under-hood fuse box.
    Terminal 2--Clean main ECM ground on thermostat housing.
    Terminal 5--Test ACG (ALT) (S) fuse in under-dash fuse box.
    Terminal 6--Test STARTER SIGNAL fuse in under-dash fuse box.
    Terminal 7--Test continuity to fuel pump.
    Terminal 8--Test ECM (K-Test).

Aug 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Well the car is running nice and smooth has before but I have a fuel leak... its the one of the fuel line(not the one with the bolt) and it's a small leak between the plate of the pump and the gaz line... its there a quick fix for this?
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Ensure any soft copper sealing washers were properly installed and you used a torque wrench to tighten the banjo bolt. Old copper washers should not be reused. You positively don't want any leaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

How would I tell if the ignition switch is bad?

1995 Civic EX 1.6 no start [ 5 Answers ]

Well this is getting expensive so need some other opinions. No start on my 1995 Honda Civic. Did check a few things recently and replaced a few also. All fuses check OK. Has no spark... Timing belt is in time and the valve all move as well as the rotor. Had seen in prior posts ignitor...

1995 Honda Civic won't start? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my '95 Honda Civic first wouldn't start about 2 weeks ago; it had sat for 2 days in sub freezing WNY weather (less than half a tank of gas), and wouldn't start. Battery is new and was turning, so I thought it was perhaps frozen fuel lines. I added some gas and some Gas X product, and after a...

1995 civic no start [ 1 Answers ]

Got a 1995 civic won't start. Borrowed a distrubutor from another civic started the car and drove home. Cutt the engine off and try to start the car again it won't start again. I put the distrubutor that I borrow back in the original car, and it started. So I know that the distrubutor still good....

1995 civic ex won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. My VTEC 1995 civic cranks, but won't start. I just had the fuel pump, filter and spark plugs changed. I consulted a mechanic and he told me to remove the sparks and put a table spoon of motor oil inside (where the plugs used to be)! Then he said I should put back the spark plugs and...

View more questions Search