Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denise1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Fridge NOT COLD - Freezer seems OK ?
    Hi everyone. This is my first post and I thank you for your help! (8/27/08)

I have a Maytag Plus MSD2456GE side by side refrigerator. It was purchased in Late 2001. When I opened a bottle of soda that I put in the fridge last night, it was not cold. I then realized the fridge was not getting cold. The freezer seems to be OK. I do hear a fan going in the freezer. I have the freezer temp (slide-bar) set to about 4 and the fridge to about 8.

I have read some posts but could not find the answer to my question. My dad is coming over tomorrow. If anyone out there has any advice on how we can try to fix it on our own, please send it on over. You can email me at [email protected] I can only hope I do not need an appliance man. I really can not afford it.

I am a single mom so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Denise
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
    First look for things that may be blocking the duct or openings between the freezer and the refrigerator. Press and hold the door switch(s) and see if the circulation fan is running. The cooling is in the freezer compartment. The refrigerator is cooled by blowing air from the freezer to the refrigerator.
    Denise1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    First look for things that may be blocking the duct or openings between the freezer and the refrigerator. Press and hold the door switch(s) and see if the circulation fan is running. The cooling is in the freezer compartment. The refrigerator is cooled by blowing air from the freezer to the refrigerator.

The freezer is not that full but I moved things around last night. When I woke up, the fridge seems to be cooler now.? By 'switch' do you mean the button that makes the light go on & off if you push it inside the door? If yes, I opened the fridge door and pushed it. The light went out. I really do not hear a fan. I don't think I ever heard a fan though.

I am glad to hear the freezer cools the fridge since I seem to have no problem keeping the freezer cold. I dropped the level of the freezer again a bit and raised the fridge number/temp.

If anything, it may just be a fan to blow that cold air over to the fridge side. (That makes sense) Might anyone know if the fan/circulator is an inexpensive part and if yes, how easy it for me and dad to change?

MANY THANKS!!

Denise
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Yes, you may or maynot have a circultion fan. If you do, it would be controlled by the fridge thermostat. No not expensive. Check wiring schemetic to see if there is fan. Check fan operation by jumping across thermostat terminals . If you have fan and it does not work, it could be fan or it could be thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fridge not cold,freezer is frosty.Whirlpool [ 5 Answers ]

Exactly that... the fridge isn't working like it should,the freezer works fine... but its frosty on the inside... inside of fridge seems to be condensating

Need 2nd opinion, GE Fridge, freezer not working at all [ 1 Answers ]

I had a repair tech come look at my GE side by side. This unit sat in storage 8 months & now does not freeze nor cool the other side (the fan & compressor both run, there are no lint issues, this unit is only 3-4 yrs old). The tech test the compressor & found that it was only pulling a .4 load. ...

10-12 y/o Amana fridge/freezer is running but isn't getting cold at all [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have an Amana refridgerator/freezer about 10-12 years old. Water has been collecting on the floor near the front left corner and now the fridg and freezer aren't getting cold at all but it sounds Like it is running. Can anyone help? Thank you!!

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: fridge not cold, freezer is frosty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a slightly over a year old Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator (model #: ABR1922FES). Yesterday, I noticed that the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be, so I turned the temp control cooler, and then, as per the owner's manual, waited 24 hours for it to kick in. It didn't....

View more questions Search