Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Aug 26, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Phishing scam ?
    :mad: I received a threatening phone call from what sounded like a Phishing scam, I have the number, is there a free way to track down who called, and how I can help other people from falling victim to this apparent scam. The caller had an auto dialer that prompted me to wait on hold because, supposedly I was negligent of making car payments, and asked for my VIN# or else they would reposes my car. When I demanded to know what this was about they simply hung up.
    Does anybody have any advice... :confused: My local police laughed at me:( , and were no help, as usual.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thommyschnak
    :mad: I received a threatening phone call from what sounded like a Phishing scam, I have the number, is there a free way to track down who called, and how I can help other people from falling victim to this apparent scam. The caller had an auto dialer that prompted me to wait on hold because, supposedly I was negligent of making car payments, and asked for my VIN# or else they would reposes my car. When I demanded to know what this was about they simply hung up.
    Does anybody have any advice...:confused: My local police laughed at me:( , and were no help, as usual.

Hire a private investigator - if it's a known number, even restricted or private, including cellular, he/she can locate it.

But then what are you going to do with the info?

(I get calls regularly from some company which advises me that the warranty on my car is about to expire and if I provide them with the VIN they will let me know how much it will cost to continue the coverage with their company. It's a company out of Florida. Interestingly they don't know which car they are calling about or the make or the model - so they're making it up as they go along. Creative but getting them nowhere.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Oh what the heck, phone numbers are public, so list the phone number here and we may have someone that can match it,
    There are several reverse phone searches available
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    thommyschnak agrees: Thank you also, and I will post the #, here it is: 5-062-212-4269, I know it's a strange # I believe that it came from Canada[/QUOTE]

That's a phone out of London, KY - looks like it's (minimally) a second line, possibly part of a phone bank.

If you search that phone number using Google or AOL you find a number of letters, posts, from people with experiences similar to yours. It appears to be a site gathering info and then offering "low cost" loans.

I wouldn't worry about it and you outsmarted them anyone - and now everyone who reads this knows it's, at best, a scam.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Sep 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
    This website is one of those used for reporting and sharing such information:

whocalled.us

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could this be a scam? [ 2 Answers ]

Im usually pretty good at recognizing a scam, but can this be a scam or no? Notice they want to use Paypal, how secure is paypal and such? Many thanks for the message.I may not be able to come and pick the item up by myself and pay in cash,because am not in state presently to complete this...

Phishing Filter [ 6 Answers ]

When it takes IE while to load a web page, it seems that a "Phishing Filter" I have at the bottom of my screen is working (green line back and forth). Is it likely that it is the filter that is slowing the browser, or is the page itself slow for reasons unconnected with the filter? If it's the...

Scam or not? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I need some advice on a work from home - data entry job. I am interested in doing this but I don't know whether this is a scam or the real thing. They are requesting that I pay US$49 to become a member. This is the first time I will be doing this and I would also like to know what...

Phishing [ 3 Answers ]

This is quite a serious issue that everyone should be fully aware of. What is Phishing ? Well basically it's a scam designed to steal sensitive personal information. Read Here for more information These type of "attacks" tend to come form addresses that you could almost trust with subjects...

View more questions Search