Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 27, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    All these objections are valid if you are talking about Nostradamus or some psychic. They simply do not relate to references I gave.
    Why not? Do you perhaps have OSE for the bible stories being anything more than myth? If so, can you please provide these details?

And what an amazingly fast study you are
    I once read the entire book and came to the conclusion from it's lack of any OSE that it is nothing but myth, mixed into some local historical heresay. Why waste time by studying that?

:>)

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And of course people I could have done a prophacy on Cred saying that ??
    yeah FR_C and I would have said yes you can count on that for sure!!

Galveston I read the statistics in the 70's of one person being able to fulfull all the prophecies but I will have to look it up again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Okay, first, I will admit I didn't look up all the scriptures that Galveston posted, because I don't believe that the bible is the word of God. I have also read the bible, heck, I've studied it cover to cover, many times, which is why I don't believe it's the word of God.

Having said that, the farmers almanac is also very good at predicting future events, I'm pretty sure that God didn't write it either.;)
    -

Aug 28, 2008, 01:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    ... the farmers almanac is also very good at predicting future events, I'm pretty sure that God didn't write it either
    As far as I know God didn't write him/herself anything ever.
    Neither the almanac nor the bible are very good at predicting anyway !

wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Look, we are talking about Jesus here. Jesus was born a Jew and He studied the Hebrew scriptures. John the Baptist was his cousin, also a Jew. It would have been no difficult feat for Him to act out the prophesies He had read about since He was a small child, no different than a child acting out a scene from a book you have read him. The other prophesies deal with Jewish law so them being carried out according to Law is no surprise either. The basic question is, did Jesus believe He was the son of God? There is ample evidence that He did. Then, do I myself believe He was the son of God? That is what our faith in Him is alll about.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 28, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Look, we are talking about Jesus here. Jesus was born a Jew and He studied the Hebrew scriptures. John the Baptist was his cousin, also a Jew. It would have been no difficult feat for Him to act out the prophesies He had read about since He was a small child, no different than a child acting out a scene from a book you have read him. The other prophesies deal with Jewish law so them being carried out according to Law is no suprise either. The basic question is, did Jesus believe He was the son of God? There is ample evidence that He did. Then, do I myself believe He was the son of God? That is what our faith in Him is alll about.
    It is really tough to predict how long you will be in a tomb. I ask you, did you read the references?

Aug 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    As far as I know God didn't write him/herself anything ever.
    Neither the almanac nor the bible are very good at predicting anyway !

All this persistent, pathological, pernicious, purveyance of poop leaves me aboslutely in-cred-ulous.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Aug 28, 2008, 05:19 PM
    You still haven't given any evidence that these so called scholars used to put together the bible. If this was done like you said it was why are you so reluctant to give it, if you say it was done already. Is it perhaps because the only evidence for the unbelievable sections of the bible is the bible its self.

Aug 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    You still haven't given any evidence that these so called scholars used to put together the bible. If this was done like you said it was why are you so reluctant to give it, if you say it was done already. Is it perhaps because the only evidence for the unbelievable sections of the bible is the bible its self.
    You're kidding, right? To do what you seem to demand would be voluminous, and I don't have the time to research and put together that much material for someone who would not read it. I'm sure that there are web sites that have it all there for the looking. Help yourself. And you still haven't read the references yet, have you? I'll be happy to explain how to look them up, if you like.

Aug 28, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Okay, first, I will admit I didn't look up all the scriptures that Galveston posted, because I don't believe that the bible is the word of God. I have also read the bible, heck, I've studied it cover to cover, many times, which is why I don't believe it's the word of God.

Having said that, the farmers almanac is also very good at predicting future events, I'm pretty sure that God didn't write it either.;)
    Pardon me if I question your Biblical scholarship. There is no way to explain how events centuries in the future were written other than by foreknowledge.
    Pets Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Pardon me if I question your Biblical scholarship. There is no way to explain how events centuries in the future were written other than by foreknowledge.

I went to Catholic school for 10 years, trust me, the bible was shoved down my throat to the point that I wanted to gag, in fact I think I did.

As for predicting the future, yes, vaguely, I can do that as well, so can you. If you don't pinpoint specific dates, are very vague, then there is a chance that what you predict will come true.

If you really want me to believe that the bible is fact, then show me one quote from the bible predicting something with an actual date and the precise event.

I believe in God, but not the bible. Sorry Galveston, I'd love for this to be proof that God exists, but it isn't. You choose to believe that the bible is the word of God, perhaps because you were raised that way, or you read it and had a profound reaction, or through church, whatever the case may be. I choose to believe that the bible was written by man, with no help whatsoever from God. It's an interesting read, but fact? I don't think so.
    -

Aug 28, 2008, 06:45 PM
    All this persistent, pathological, pernicious, purveyance of poop .....
    It's quite funny to see you reacting here with precisely the same stuff and emptiness you are posting "ad nauseum" at the Political Discussions Board.

Aug 28, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    It's quite funny to see you reacting here with precisely the same stuff and emptiness you are posting "ad nauseum" at the Political Discussions Board.

No good answer, huh? Don't get discouraged, it happens sometimes.

Aug 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I went to Catholic school for 10 years, trust me, the bible was shoved down my throat to the point that I wanted to gag, in fact I think I did.

As for predicting the future, yes, vaguely, I can do that as well, so can you. If you don't pinpoint specific dates, are very vague, then there is a chance that what you predict will come true.

If you really want me to believe that the bible is fact, then show me one quote from the bible predicting something with an actual date and the precise event.

I believe in God, but not the bible. Sorry Galveston, I'd love for this to be proof that God exists, but it isn't. You choose to believe that the bible is the word of God, perhaps because you were raised that way, or you read it and had a profound reaction, or through church, whatever the case may be. I choose to believe that the bible was written by man, with no help whatsoever from God. It's an interesting read, but fact? I don't think so.
    Precise events is EXACTLY the point of my OP. You still haven't read the references, or you would not have made that statement.
    -

Aug 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Re. Your reaction to Altenweg :

Precise events is EXACTLY the point of my OP. You still haven't read the references, or you would not have made that statement.
    Why can't you just accept that other people believe different than you do, and never-the-less their belief carries the same validity as yours ?
    So Altenweg believes in God without the Christian "hocus pocus".

SO WHAT ??? WHY NOT ???

You can not prove using OSE that your views are "the one and only truth". All you have is BELIEF.

michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Aug 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
    You're kidding, right? To do what you seem to demand would be voluminous, and I don't have the time to research and put together that much material for someone who would not read it. I'm sure that there are web sites that have it all there for the looking. Help yourself. And you still haven't read the references yet, have you? I'll be happy to explain how to look them up, if you like.
    The point is you say this research has already been done, yet have no proof of it being done. You take it on faith that it was done. The truth is that it wasn't, that there is no evidence other than the bible for the supernatural portions of the bible.

Aug 29, 2008, 10:52 AM
    And there you have it, folks. The Bible bashers demand proof that the Bible is anything more than fiction. When proof is offered, they will not even read it. Then they demand proof of the proof, which would then be rejected with the demand for more proof.
    I didn't post this to change their minds, it was posted to EXPOSE their shallow unwillingness to even consider anything supernatural. The next time the wrecking crew shows up on your thread, just remember how they danced around any actual discussion. Oh, and guys, thanks for helping me with this illustration.
    Finis!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
    When proof is offered,
    Your proof is called circular logic: the proof the bible is true is in the bible.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 02:50 PM
    And there you have it, folks. The Bible bashers demand proof that the Bible is anything more than fiction. When proof is offered, they will not even read it. Then they demand proof of the proof, which would then be rejected with the demand for more proof.
    I didn't post this to change their minds, it was posted to EXPOSE their shallow unwillingness to even consider anything supernatural. The next time the wrecking crew shows up on your thread, just remember how they danced around any actual discussion. Oh, and guys, thanks for helping me with this illustration.
    Finis!
    How very Christ-like of you! You, sir, are a model Christian!

:rolleyes:
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Firstly, Galveston, your attitude is yet another reason I don't go to church or read the bible. It's people like you I've dealt with my entire life, and I'm done.

So, we are shallow, unwilling, not willing to consider anything supernatural. I do believe in God, why does that automatically mean that I have to accept the bible? It's a man written book, men are and always will be fallible. The bible is proof of nothing. If I wrote a book and in the book I predict something and then later wrote that my prediction came true, would you believe me? Of course not, you'd want proof.

I don't need proof that God exists, I believe that he does, and until someone can prove that he doesn't, I will believe, it's my God given right! But the bible, no, I've read it, over and over and over again, it's not proof of anything.

We tried to discuss things, but when I came and told you why I don't believe, you poo pooed all over me, just like the Christians I went to school with.

Do you honestly think that we are going to look up all the quotes that you posted? Come one, I have a life, kids, a husband, a household to run, I don't have that kind of time, nor am I willing to waste that kind of time on bible quotes. I say again, I've read it, and that's why I don't believe it.

So, I'll just take my shallow unwilling self and keep believing in my God, because obviously he's a different God then the one you believe in.

Wow, just when I think I might have judged the Christians of my youth too harshly...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I never asked for any installation [ 4 Answers ]

I am constantly receiving a message, "The features you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk.... As soon as I press the 'Cancel' command, the following message appears, "An installation package for the product Status cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy...

Was asked [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked this question for class I will give you what I got but not sure this is what the answer is. The Question: When you buy new software packs, why does it state the minimum RAM and hard drive space your computer must have for you to run this program. My Answer: Because you need...

Why did no one asked me out before? [ 13 Answers ]

Dear Everyone, I'm 20 years old, I'll be 21 in March. I have a problem. I never went on a single date before. Why? I'm just asking because maybe you can help me, is there something wrong with me? I would go with anyone, I have love for all. I can't reject anyone because that would hurt me inside...

Asked to go out by the x? [ 7 Answers ]

Were in our early twenty's and we lived together for two years and I thought the grass was going to be greener on the otherside... it wasn't. We have been apart for six months and have been dating other people. I did the whole N.C. rule for about three months got over the grieving but of coarse...

Hi all probably asked before but [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old whirlpool washer that just stopped agitating?? Evry thing els works fine.

View more questions Search